Respected Contributor

Re: The hiker found in Hawaii

@Ketra wrote:

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@Ketra wrote:

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

I find it sad that people have become so jaded and cynical that they think people like this unfortunate hiker have some diabolical agenda.

Until there is some evidence to the contrary, I have no reason to not believe her. Victim shaming has really gone off the rails around here.

@Ms tyrion2 She is not a victim as you stated above. No one dragged her into the jungle and held her there. She made a mistake and didn’t use basic common sense. If she’s a victim it’s due to her own actions. However, I don’t believe one can be a victim of their own actions. I call that consequences for bad decisions.  It’s good everything turned out well for her, but hardly movie worthy as is currently being discussed.

@Ketra ,

She is the victim of an accident that left her with a  broken leg. I'm stunned you haven't heard the term "victim of an accident" before.  

I also don't believe in flogging someone for "consequences of bad decisions".  

These are my opinions and I don't really need a lecture on why you disagree.

@Ms tyrion2 No one is “flogging someone” for getting lost. No one is a victim here either. If I got lost on a hike and fell down a trench, breaking my leg, that would be an unfortunate mishap due to me not being prepared for the hike (going on my own without a phone). I would not consider myself a victim. 

You can parse words to your heart's content.

You're not changing my opinion.

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@september wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

The reports say she went in a short way to meditate, which is something she does frequently, NOT that she went hiking. 🥾 

She became disoriented, and wandered about.

No doubt if she had been planning a hike she would have been much better prepared.  

Isn’t it Grand that she survived!

That’s what I understood.  She was going to walk/ run a three mile route that she had previously done many times. While that may seem like a long distance for people who don’t exercise...it’s 30-45 minutes for those who do.  Not a long distance and not one that we can’t do alone. 

I walk a three mile route every day as a meditation - maybe that's what she does, a walking meditation, not that she goes into the woods and sits.

A friend of mine used to argue with me, saying that you had to sit to meditate, and I always said no, that a walking meditation is an actual thing.  But that's another subject...

I’ve assisted with a mediatation class at the park where I’m a volunteer. 

The instructor has the students start start in a sitting position, then get up and walk to various different areas.  So yes, even the “experts” say you get benefits of meditating while walking. 

Honored Contributor

No-you do not have to sit to meditate.

There are various forms of meditation including body scans, mindful meditation, walking meditation, loving kindness, among others.

It is about the benefit, not the method.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

@QueenDanceALot  How long does your 3-mile meditation take each day?

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@Ketra wrote:

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

I find it sad that people have become so jaded and cynical that they think people like this unfortunate hiker have some diabolical agenda.

Until there is some evidence to the contrary, I have no reason to not believe her. Victim shaming has really gone off the rails around here.

@Ms tyrion2 She is not a victim as you stated above. No one dragged her into the jungle and held her there. She made a mistake and didn’t use basic common sense. If she’s a victim it’s due to her own actions. However, I don’t believe one can be a victim of their own actions. I call that consequences for bad decisions.  It’s good everything turned out well for her, but hardly movie worthy as is currently being discussed.

@Ketra ,

She is the victim of an accident that left her with a  broken leg. I'm stunned you haven't heard the term "victim of an accident" before.  

I also don't believe in flogging someone for "consequences of bad decisions".  

These are my opinions and I don't really need a lecture on why you disagree.

Woman Very HappyWoman WinkHeartHeart

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

@september wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

It was stated she didn't take her phone with her because it was her down time, not to be bothered.  My first thought was that anyone who hikes knows anything can happen that will disable them and would automatically have that phone safely tucked away in a pocket.  I'm glad she was found and hope she learned a valuable lesson, take your darn phone with you!!!!!!

I do take my phone with me, but here’s a tip:   Take a whistle, as well.  If you find yourself in an area with no cell phone signal, or your phone battery dies, the whistle could be your best friend.  

Good advice. Because of a bad back, if I fall I need help getting up so I carry a whistle with me wherever I go.  Aren't we smart women?  Woman Very Happy

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

Look at her poor feet, they're beyond swollen. I don't doubt her one bit.

@JaneMarple  I saw her on the news and it was very obvious she had been through a terrible ordeal. I don't doubt her at all either!! I was surprised to read through this thread this evening and find out some posters actually doubted her. What's up with that?

Lack of good sense or practical judgement?  You asked!!!  Woman Wink

Esteemed Contributor

Lesson to be learned from this.  If you hike alone, be prepared for anything.  Carry your phone and a whistle.  And tell someone where you are going and when you are expected back.  Anything can happen, and at least people would know where to find you.  

Honored Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

Look at her poor feet, they're beyond swollen. I don't doubt her one bit.

@JaneMarple  I saw her on the news and it was very obvious she had been through a terrible ordeal. I don't doubt her at all either!! I was surprised to read through this thread this evening and find out some posters actually doubted her. What's up with that?

Lack of good sense or practical judgement?  You asked!!!  Woman Wink

@Lindsays Grandma... after reading through this thread last evening, I saw that on Yahoo many had weighed in and claimed this is another Balloon Boy or Jussie Smollett. I still believe she is innocent of what she is being accused of but opinions vary and I guess this forum is a reflection of exactly that......

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

No-you do not have to sit to meditate.

There are various forms of meditation including body scans, mindful meditation, walking meditation, loving kindness, among others.

It is about the benefit, not the method.

@Cakers3 

I also do a hooping meditation.  Yes, with a hula hoop, a dance hoop.  I found someone online that my hoop instructor introduced me to and he blogged about hooping meditation.  I love it!