Esteemed Contributor

The hiker found in Hawaii

[ Edited ]

I have not seen this discussed, but many of the comments I see on the news stories associated with this young woman's experience doubt her tale of being lost on the Kahakapao Trail in East Maui's Makawao Forest Reserve.

I'm not familiar with the area, but they showed the ravine she fell into and, one report said she had broken her leg.

Just read she is out of the hospital after 16 days in the forest.

Her family is near the area where I live, and I'm happy for them that she was found.  It has been in our local paper.

Guess after so many made up stories, people are reluctant to believe.

I find myself wondering, too.

Respected Contributor

Re: The hiker found in Hawaii

This story has been covered for 2 days now. Why doubt this?

Honored Contributor

Haven't really followed the story but my first reaction was:  she was hiking alone???   Doesn't sound too smart.

Honored Contributor

I took issue with the fact that anybody with half a brain would go hiking in flip flops, which was what she was wearing in the last video they had of her.  Of course, she could've changed her shoes before starting her hike, but she was barefoot when she was found.  Not sure what the stories were or what people were thinking.  The closeup of her legs looked pretty bad like she had something going on besides a broken leg.  

Esteemed Contributor

@ahoymate 

Yes, I know it has been covered extensively.

Many experienced hikers and those that know the area have said they found many things about her story puzzling.

I'm not saying she is lying, but there are aspects of what I've read that make me wonder.  Believe me, I'm not losing sleep over it, but the story is causing others more experienced than me to doubt.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am glad she was found and I would never accuse her of lying. I just think she is not a person who is really    a responsible type individual, that takes hiking seriously . It sounds like it was done on a whim

People who really are into hiking  dress for it, and have great respect for nature

Trusted Contributor

Someone going into very dense jungle on their own is definitely not too smart. I’m glad they found her, but to make such a big story and fuss over someone who did this is ridiculous. They are already talking about book and movie deals. It seems that only criminals, the infamous, politicians and people that lack common sense are the only ones film worthy these days with a few exceptions. 

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

I took issue with the fact that anybody with half a brain would go hiking in flip flops, which was what she was wearing in the last video they had of her.  Of course, she could've changed her shoes before starting her hike, but she was barefoot when she was found.  Not sure what the stories were or what people were thinking.  The closeup of her legs looked pretty bad like she had something going on besides a broken leg.  

supposedly her shoes were swept away in the water.

i have no reason to doubt the story at all.

so happy to hear she was found and that she is safe and recovering.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

I don’t doubt the story, but i think many details have not been revealed.  I have not been hiking there but we attempted the drive to Hana and turned around.  Too nerve racking for me.  That forest is tropical, thick.    I cannot understand why a 35 year old would attempt a hike by herself without phone or id.  Doesn’t sound like a hiker.  many questions.

Respected Contributor

Have you seen the images of her legs and body? Broken bone in her leg, infections and sun blisters all over her body. Have you never heard of getting lost? She was not in flip flops. Her shoes were washed away. Faking the story? Wow.