Respected Contributor

Re: The. gymastics doctor (Nassar) sentencing on now.

[ Edited ]

No. I've followed the case & the heartbreaking victim statements but won't watch the sentencing because the judge can't send him directly to hell today... it's what he deserves.

Respected Contributor

I haven't followed the story.  I don't know if he had s*x with the girls or something else.  Either way, what a disgusting man.

Honored Contributor

I saw part of it, and it is so very, very satisfying when justice is done, when it is meted down calmly to the very obviously guilty.  I hope the victims, as harmed as they were by this perpetrator, can feel good that there will be appropriate consequences and lifelong punishment for his crimes.

Also saw part of a video (don't know exactly when it happened-- a few days before this, maybe-- of Aly Raisman being able to deliver a very forceful, cogent statement in court, directly to the perpetrator.  What I saw was excellent-- the innocent having her day!

The one thing that slightly bothered me today was the judge talking so much about herself, in her courtroom remarks.  She was saying how her office has been deluged with requests for interviews, and all other kind of blandishments and protested that this wasn't about her.  But she talked at length about her fairness, her reputation, her background, herself, her involvement in the case, etc. and that is unseemly to me.

Others may disagree, but I prefer justice delivered without "personality".   Keep a laser focus on the case.  Ever since Judge Ito (I'm not even sure that was his name, but it's close, I think!) there seems to be more of a focus on aggrandizing judges and officers of the court.

But still, a very satisfying conclusion to a terrible abuse of a physician's power over the innocent.

Esteemed Contributor

I was just watching this. I may have missed something, but I saw Larry Nassar saying that he "would carry the victims statements with him for all of his days", and other statements like that. But, I never herad him say, "I am so very sorry"...

Not that anything that he would say would matter, but has anyone heard this monster even sound half way sorry?

Also, one of the girls said that this had gone one for nearly 20 years. Now, the adults who knew and did nothing, should be in just as much trouble as Nassar. And one of the girls I heard say yesterday, that she did go to some woman at MSU (I think) and told her and the woman told her she didn't know what sexual abuse was and whatever Larry did was treatment.

These people who knew and chose to keep quiet, or who were told and chose to not look into the matter, need to be in just as much trouble as Nassar and possibly more.

Respected Contributor

@Oznell

I’m wondering if the Judge said all those things about herself because last week Nassar and his attorneys said that the Judge just liked the spotlight and attention because of her sympathetic comments after each victim statement and that she would frequently be in the camara shot (since Nassar sat near her). Maybe as a way to ward off an appeal that she was biased?  Just my thoughts. 

Respected Contributor

@SahmIamwrote:

I think every individual who KNEW and LOOKED THE OTHER way should be sentenced along with him. Disgusting vile pieces of human flesh.

People know, look the other way, attend and donate all the time. SMH

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

wrote:

@corita  You do need a lesson in reading comprehension.  Alas, you apologized, but words cannot be taken back.  What poster would have meant that ... think before you type next time.

I read exactly what she meant the first time, so not everyone took it the wrong way.  She apologized.  No need to tell the poster she needs a "lesson in reading comprehension."

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Please someone explain how my post reflected victims deserved abuse? I said coverup. By the way i'am survivor of childhood abduction. 

Honored Contributor

When the story broke last year, I was appalled at how many people in power new about this scum and did nothing.  Coaches, MSU, national gymnastic org, etc.

I got an email from MSU (as did all alumni, students, staff, etc) president last year about how the university will get through this difficult time, yada....

This is only the beginning as lawsuit after lawsuit will filed.  I hope the university goes broke.  Not one red cent from me.

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Honored Contributor

wrote:

@SahmIamwrote:

I think every individual who KNEW and LOOKED THE OTHER way should be sentenced along with him. Disgusting vile pieces of human flesh.

People know, look the other way, attend and donate all the time. SMH

@scatcat Yep, including parents.