Honored Contributor

This has been such a good thread.  I love to look back, recall some of those precious memories.  The simple things that were mostly free or very inexpensive.  Last month or so I was talking with a relative in his late twenties..........he was saying that he had so many of those games/gadgets/whatevers when he was young; that it was way too much all at one time.  Better to have/enjoy one toy or gadget at a time (more or less) when we're young.  Too much all at one time is distracting.  Well, that was the conversation.  I truly enjoyed hearing his thoughts. He sounded very 'grown up' (mature) to me.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@maestra wrote:

The good ole days werent very good for the poor and disenfranchised, growing up I was both. You can keep those days as far as I'm concerned.

Being poor does not make a bad life. We were poor. My father was injured in WW11 and as a result he was deaf so he had very low paid jobs, and he worked and ran a farm and also painted houses on the weekends. But everyone we knew were also poor and we did not think that wearing hand me downs or eating what my Mom always called peasant food was  a bad thing. It just was how us and everyone else we lived around survived. We had all the love we needed, a bed to sleep in and a roof to keep the cold out. We didn't get a TV until 1959 but most people we knew had one and we would see it at their house. 

Respected Contributor

Also in our town we could call and order (pop)  soda and beer and the beer distributors  would deliver it to our home and put it in the basement . I am older then lots on here but I still remember  the phone number for the distributor who owned the business. That was back in the early 50's.I even remember what all our order would be.

Respected Contributor

151949 were have you been you started this and left and the rest of us have been having a good time going back in our memories. Our TV was  a 7inch screen then we went to a 10, 12, 14  then after that everyone had them. But with that 7inch my Dad put a big magnifying glass over the screen and the whole neighbor hood would come and watch wrestling on it, then boxing. Girl my fingers are worn out this has been so much fun!!!!

Honored Contributor

@cater wrote:

Also in our town we could call and order (pop)  soda and beer and the beer distributors  would deliver it to our home and put it in the basement . I am older then lots on here but I still remember  the phone number for the distributor who owned the business. That was back in the early 50's.I even remember what all our order would be.

OMG - i do recall getting the beer delivery. My father never drank alcohol at all  but every year at Christmas he would buy a case of beer and a case of different flavored pop because we always had the family over for Christmas dinner. and, yes, it was delivered, and the delivery guy would carry it into the basement. if there was any beer left at the end of the Christmas celebration my dad would give it to his brothers because they drank beer. However, he would keep any left over pop for us.

Honored Contributor

My absolute favorite toys were dolls and then at a little older - paper dolls. You could change them to all the different glamorous outfits and pretend they were going out dancing . My grandma would play paper dolls with me and she would sing so our dolls could dance. When my cousins would come over they would bring their paper dolls. And sometimes we would trade them if we were tired of one.

Respected Contributor

My dad was not a beer drinker either. We always kept it for relatives who were always visiting and my grandfather liked a cold beer if he was doing something at our house. Did you ever have a guy come to your home with a suit case selling pins needles thread shoe laces etc? We did and my Mom would buy a couple things to help him out.

Respected Contributor

Yes we played with those cut out dolls. My sister has a grand daughter and I swear this girl will be going to high school and will still be collecting dolls. When she comes here she drags all her dolls and their clothes and I have to play house with her. We also color together.

Honored Contributor

No we didn't have that one. We did have the fuller brush man and when we grew up one of my good friends from HS married a Fuller Brush man.

Respected Contributor

We had the fuller brush guy also, plus the Jewel tea guy. but our guy would come and knock on the door and yell "pins, needles, thread, shoe laces' then we all had to go out and see what he had in his suitcase.