Reply
Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,352
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

@tends2dogs wrote:

I just went back and reread the OP's post.  I can't for the life of me see where she was trying to bait anyone.   I don't always agree with her posts and at the very least find them curt or a bit acid tongued.  This post was not this way.  It was asking for good memories of past days.  Clicking on to a thread titled "good ole days" kind of means that - good. For those of you that are having a problem with this subject matter,  I am sorry for you if you don't have good memories. Do people that had a bad or poor past exsistence wish that others had not had a good one?  I really doubt it.  Maybe as Jubilant suggested, there should be another thread titled "the bad ole days".  I, for one, won't be clicking on.


I took your advice and re-read the OP's original post.  Her opening statement alluded to the fact that people back then had more common sense.  This was not a specific statement about "specific" people.  She was making a statement about a generation of people.  Common sense is not generationally specific.  

 

There are millions of sensible, hard working people today who are still struggling to survive.  They don't have fond memories of living on farms with lots of land to roam and play on or attending boarding schools and receiving superior educations.  Yet these people certainly want their children to have wonderful memories to draw on during their formative years.  And some will succeed through much struggle.

 

I, along with other posters DO have some sweet momories growing up, but we also have had some hardships and pain.  Should that not be shared here?  I am in no way raining on anyone's parade if they've had a wonderful childhood.  I wish all children could.  

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,762
Registered: ‎05-08-2010

@RoughDraft wrote:

@tends2dogs wrote:

I just went back and reread the OP's post.  I can't for the life of me see where she was trying to bait anyone.   I don't always agree with her posts and at the very least find them curt or a bit acid tongued.  This post was not this way.  It was asking for good memories of past days.  Clicking on to a thread titled "good ole days" kind of means that - good. For those of you that are having a problem with this subject matter,  I am sorry for you if you don't have good memories. Do people that had a bad or poor past exsistence wish that others had not had a good one?  I really doubt it.  Maybe as Jubilant suggested, there should be another thread titled "the bad ole days".  I, for one, won't be clicking on.


I took your advice and re-read the OP's original post.  Her opening statement alluded to the fact that people back then had more common sense.  This was not a specific statement about "specific" people.  She was making a statement about a generation of people.  Common sense is not generationally specific.  

 

There are millions of sensible, hard working people today who are still struggling to survive.  They don't have fond memories of living on farms with lots of land to roam and play on or attending boarding schools and receiving superior educations.  Yet these people certainly want their children to have wonderful memories to draw on during their formative years.  And some will succeed through much struggle.

 

I, along with other posters DO have some sweet momories growing up, but we also have had some hardships and pain.  Should that not be shared here?  I am in no way raining on anyone's parade if they've had a wonderful childhood.  I wish all children could.  


@RoughDraft  The OP's comment about common sense was kind of what I was alluding to when I said sometimes curt or acid tongued.  Hard working people may not have fond memories of living on farms with lots of land or attending boarding schools, but I am sure they have their own fond memories.  I do.  Every person that has drawn a breath has had some hardship or pain.  It is part of life.  I am sure that some of the people talked about in other posts (those discrimminated, etc.) have some happy memories....perhaps a wonderful mother, playing with a beloved sibling, whatever.  I agree with you, RoughDraft, I wish every child could have a wonderful childhood.

"Greater is the One living inside of me, than he who is living in the world."
Honored Contributor
Posts: 18,415
Registered: ‎11-25-2011

Re: The good ole days

[ Edited ]

@Cakers3 wrote:

@60sgirl wrote:
 

Spin it any way you want, this thread was about people thinking back about better times FOR THEM. No one needed to rain on it. 

 

Nobody was insulting to the OP; 

 


@Cakers3

Unfortunately a couple members were insulting.  Even Susan-QVC moderator thought they were as well.   So much, posts #80 & 81 were deemed rude & insulting to the OP & thus removed from the thread. 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 18,415
Registered: ‎11-25-2011

image.jpeg

Is this awesome or WHAT?!  

 

My BFF talks about the 'old days'...especially cars.  

We both have the same story.

Everyone remembers how mom & dad would throw all the kids in the back of the 'whale of a car' back seat.  Dad would make a sharp right hand turn & all of us kids would slide to the left hand side....man, that was fun!  

 

Seat belts?!  What were seat belts?! 

😄

Valued Contributor
Posts: 841
Registered: ‎07-11-2012

sidsmom ~ Wow!!! I never knew there was such a thing but now i've got to have a '61 Buick Flamingo! P.S. I got your Love Shack reference! LoL 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*Kindness is a gift everyone can afford to give.
**Be the reason someone smiles today : )
Honored Contributor
Posts: 18,415
Registered: ‎11-25-2011

Re: The good ole days

[ Edited ]

@SuesCat wrote:

sidsmom ~ Wow!!! I never knew there was such a thing but now i've got to have a '61 Buick Flamingo! P.S. I got your Love Shack reference! LoL 


@SuesCat

Giggle!  TIN ROOF....Rustin'!!

 

Yeah, this car's a unicorn.  I've been to a lot of car shows & have talked to many-a-people...where does it exist?  Maybe in your driveway!  Love the color.

 

Thanks, dear..just continuing the good feeling for the good ole days! 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 14,134
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Tjhat was then and this now, but even then not everything was perfect.

 

In the town where I lived, there was no public transit, so if somewhere you needed to go was beyond walking distance or too far to walk with the family groceries in tow, you had to have a car.

 

And women who did work had no claim to equal pay nor any protection at all from sexual discrimination.

 

There were many organized sports for boys and virtually nothing for the girls -  which, of course, meant fewer scholarships for girls who really weren't encouraged by the system to go to college anyway.

 

Also, keep in mind that civil rights laws, any attempt at equal schools, any rights or even safety for gays were all still in the future.

 

Yes, there is plenty of legitimate nostalgia for the past, but there was plenty of ugliness and unfairness then, too.  I'm not always sure I'd want to go back.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,521
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: The good ole days

[ Edited ]

Back to the good memories I was the car washer in our family and the station wagon  which ever we had at that time also was the car waxer. One time when I cleaned the inside I found a can of armour all in my Dad's cleaning stuff. WELL this one day I sprayed the seats from the front to back to the third seat. When we all climbed in to go some place my Dad made a wide sharp turn and every one including my Dad slid to the other side, I was in a lot of trouble that day. Wasn't allowed to use that stuff  any more.

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,208
Registered: ‎04-27-2015

@Cakers3 wrote:

@60sgirl wrote:

@Marienkaefer2 wrote:

And just for the record....it's not "stomping" to remind people that the good old days....in this case the 1950s  and 1960s  were not the good old days for EVERYONE.  It's one thing to say, ..I remember my childhood, my family did this or I have happy memories doing that.   It's another to make generalizations about the past based on your personal experience. ..that is, forgetting that life may not have been so rosy for everyone.  My mom grew up in the 1940s and 1950s.   She graduated from high school in 1957.  She has great memories of her life back then. However, while she was admitted to Palisades Park with her friends to enjoy the park on a summer afternoon,  other children her age who were of color were not. While she enjoyed a picnic at Bear Mountain with her parents, Emmett Till at 14 years of age was lynched in another    state.   Just because she was not aware of it does not make it any less horrible.   And she realizes that now.  Do we continue to have issues in our country?   Sure, but some things have improved.   My point is that it would behoove us to think outside of our own experiences and be mindful of others.  That's all.


Anyone who remembers fondly a childhood, an event, an experience should be able to do so without using a disclaimer like "I remember how nice it was growing up for me, but now that I'm an adult, I realize not everyone had a good life so I won't wax on about my memories cause it isn't fair to those who didn't". Is that it?

No one should have to be reminded or scolded because THEIR youth was one that they remember fondly as a more simple time and wish it was like that now. I am sure that any adult would wish that their children had a good childhood.  No one has to be reminded that others didn't They still don't. So as I said earlier if you are raising young kids or grandchildren, better not make fond memories with them because unless you expose them to all the other people who are living a tough life, it wouldn't be fair and those kids and grandkids might grow up thinking because their lives are so nice and happy, everyone's must be.

 

Social agendas are for adults, the people posting about their childhood memories were not adults at that time and need no reminders to take away their happy thoughts.

 

Spin it any way you want, this thread was about people thinking back about better times FOR THEM. No one needed to rain on it. 


 

 

This is a free and open board for everyone to post - quite frankly I find your continued lecturing on how others should post to be rude and condescending.

 

Nobody was insulting to the OP; people were commenting on how some things were not so glorious in terms of social issues back then.  While things were better in some arenas of life, we all get it that other issues are not.  

 

The OP is free to choose how she feels just as other posters are free to look back with nostalgia AND with awareness of how far we've come and how far we still need to go.

 

There is no need to keep the two in distinct categories; it's just a conversation encompassing all facets of life.  For heaven's sake - chill out.


 EXCELLENT comments - ITA!!!!

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 7,829
Registered: ‎03-18-2010

@sidsmom wrote:

image.jpeg

Is this awesome or WHAT?!  

 

My BFF talks about the 'old days'...especially cars.  

We both have the same story.

Everyone remembers how mom & dad would throw all the kids in the back of the 'whale of a car' back seat.  Dad would make a sharp right hand turn & all of us kids would slide to the left hand side....man, that was fun!  

 

Seat belts?!  What were seat belts?! 

😄


I love this car!!! Thanks for posting this picture!

 

I was watching an episode of Mad Men when Don and Betty were bring the baby home from the hospital. She was just holding the baby in her arms! I have a grandson who is about 15 months old and his car seat looks like an astronauts chair!

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK