Honored Contributor

Sometimes less is more.  I'm thinking that some things are now more complicated, and take up more of our time, in the long run.  Lots of folks around here rushing around, here and there.  Missing the journey, barely noticing the view all around them.  Sort of like a race horse with side blinders. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Re: The good ole days

[ Edited ]

I'd like to think that our children and grandchildren will be able to sit down and pleasantly recall their precious moments from their past.........Would be nice........Heart

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

My mom would often pleasantly recall her past, her pet calf/cow on the farm.  It was hard work in the hot sun.  Still.............she had quite a few pleasant memories that made her very content, very happy to remember.  Heart

Honored Contributor

Re: The good ole days

[ Edited ]

I think it is fun to reminisce once in a while.  It gives me the warm fuzzies and makes me thankful for all the happy times I have had.

Today it's cold and raining.  I am thinking about a bologna sandwhich with Chicken Noodle Soup.  We lived in the city so we were allowed to walk home for lunch.  Mom usually had bologna, peanut butter, or toasted cheese sandwiches with soup on cold days.  It was nice we could have that break in the day and eat at home.

One thing I don't miss is 5 people per bathroom!!  Thank goodness for more bathrooms.

I miss  the way  kids could play outside after dark or ride our bikes blocks away from home. Our parents could let us go out and not worry.   There is something to be said for being free to roam about without fear.  I think that is a thing of the past.  I wish my Grandkids could know how that feels.    

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

In our Pittsburgh neighborhoods we walked to elementary school with the other kids from our neighborhood and our brothers and sisters. We all walked together and played together and no one excessively bullied anyone or else we other kids would have stopped them. We knew perfectly well right from wrong and if some kid did not know - we kids taught them both by older kids telling  them and by the example we all lived. Of course at times some kids picked on other kids but it was never excessive.

Did they eat all of their vegetables, too?  

Respected Contributor

Jubilant, oh those good old bologna sandwiches back in those old days we had a little corner store and on Sunday night around 5pm we would walk to that store get a pound come back to our friends grandmothers home and she would fry it up with onions put it on home made bread with cucumbers and mayo. All the kids in the neighbor hood would sit on the back porch with our sandwiches. About roller skating and riding our bikes well the Moms would come to our home and they would sit on our front porch while us kids rode our bikes and roller skated or just played games till it got dark then the Moms would gather up their kids and head for home.  I also came from a family of five with one bathroom and as you we all survived.

Respected Contributor

Bella Carro, at our home we had to eat all of our veggies in fact we had to have some thing of everything my Mom prepared or we didn't get to have our dessert. Since my Mom was a great cook it was dessert that we all wanted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Respected Contributor

The good ole days werent very good for the poor and disenfranchised, growing up I was both. You can keep those days as far as I'm concerned.

Honored Contributor

@maestra wrote:

The good ole days werent very good for the poor and disenfranchised, growing up I was both. You can keep those days as far as I'm concerned.

I doubt they are today for those that are poor, living in drug and crime infested communities. Such is life. My dad grew up dirt poor; a member of the unwashed and uneducated and yet....he still had happy memories of the good ole days.

Respected Contributor

The good old days was good old days.   But I like to look to the future.  We still can walk in the park at night and all around our neighborhood safely.  

Kids around us walk to their school with the other kids.  The kids are very polite.  Peaceful, clean, and friendly local stores.   Everyone is fun to talk with while we all shop.  Total strangers out just enjoying the day. 

Fun small places to eat out on the sidewalk during the day and during the nice evenings.

Life is seen as good days of the future.