Respected Contributor

Re: The good ole days

[ Edited ]

Thank you Sidsmom I will check that site out. It would be nice to get them out of here besides just throwing them away. So many nice gifts were given or gotten with our stamps. In fact after 54 years I still have some.

Honored Contributor

'Could be' (I don't know for sure) that maybe in those days (some) folks weren't dependent on 'things', items, gadgets, spending money, etc. to make folks happy.  Folks just made their own relaxation and enjoyment.  They possibly were more family oriented.  For instance, just baking cookies from scratch every week with the children.  You know, the simple things that included the children, if and when possible.  The Sunday ice cream cone.  So many 'simple things' that weren't very expensive.  (Just a thought, of course.  'Allegedly', lol)

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Some people seem to be unable to ever see the good be it a current event or something in their past, they are not able to ever be positive.Not that their life was any worse or someone else's any better than most other folks, but it is just their perception of events. My one brother is like this. He perceives every memory differently than the rest of us, and he is always unhappy, feeling he has had a terrible life, and the entire world owes him something.Basically my other brothers and I just roll our eyes. You'll never change a person like this.

See the good or agree?  Rarely are things simply good or bad, black or white.  Maybe if your brother felt someone would really listen rather than consider his feelings irrational and without merit he could look at things more positively.  Seems a little harsh.

Respected Contributor

Thanks for the replies.

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder
Trusted Contributor

To the people who came onto this thread and brought their negativity I have this to say:

Throughout all of history there has been strife, wars, groups people targeted, uneasiness and more. There is today in the present era and there will be in the future. There are no signs that Peace on Earth is coming soon. There are more guns and more murders every day in all of our cities.

To the OP and others who are fondly remembering THEIR youth and what they were exposed to, it was a simpler time and they don't have memories of abuse of women or other things that some of you think have disappeared because we have laws in place. They didn't disappear.

However, you come onto a thread of people with good memories and basically stomp on them and try to make them feel bad for having a nice childhood to remember. How awful to try an deny anyone good memories because somewhere else someone was not having a good life.

With that logic in mind, anyone who is sitting around today looking at their wedding pictures, birth of children, playing with their grandchildren, you know making memories, better remove those thoughts because somewhere in the city someone is being murdered, maybe a child and how dare you make a memory with your child when someone is getting killed? 

Fond memories are unique to each person and because bad things are happening the world over to other people, that does not make it wrong for anyone to enjoy their own life. 

What kind of person goes into a happy occasion and turns it into a memoriam of suffering for others? The next time you or one of your loved ones has a happy occasion or achievement, make sure you save the news that day and when you remember that happy achievement, whip out the paper and take away the happiness of that day by reading about all the bad things that were going on around the world that day. 

I would guess that no one should say how much they enjoyed watching the Andy Griffith show back then because he was such a good dad and it was a warm show because the naysayers will wag a finger and remind everyone that Mayberry didn't have any minorities in it, so that negates the whole idea of a small town of people who cared for each other. 

I'm done with P.C. Just say what you mean and mean what you say. It's easier.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@60sgirl  Bravo to you - well said.  I had the same thoughts.  It seems that someone always has to rain on the parade. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Some of us know who op is when we post.  Some of us don't.  I think, if you like the topic and want to join in, it probably doesn't matter who the op is.  If you see op as a person who is trying to cause trouble or someone you don't like, then you need to just go elsewhere. Let people decide for themselves who or what someone else is.

If you want to give someone trouble because, at some time...... they gave you trouble....we are all in for a lot of trouble!!!!!!

Trusted Contributor

Very nice post @60sgirl!   I have a few fond memories myself. It was not all happiness. But I do like to look back on some of the happier moments, especially with my love ones no longer here.

Respected Contributor

Agree...times were simplier....much of that had to do with less technology.  As technology advanced there was much loss of interest in a lot of things including people....for example: look aorund you when you go out for dinner....99% of the people are oblivious to the world around them including their own family as they focus on whatever is happening on their cell phone screen.  

Honored Contributor

@straykatz wrote:

Agree...times were simplier....much of that had to do with less technology.  As technology advanced there was much loss of interest in a lot of things including people....for example: look aorund you when you go out for dinner....99% of the people are oblivious to the world around them including their own family as they focus on whatever is happening on their cell phone screen.  

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,It sure seems that way.  I mentioned this once before on here.....   A couple of  years ago (at a Christmas dinner at our house)  DH looked at everyone in the room and said, "Could you turn off your dang phones...they are driving me nuts"!!  Now the younger ones are instagraming so it will probably be worse this year.  DH and I keep looking at each other thinking we are hearing things.  Of course it's just everyone receiving a text.  Get 10 people in a room (or more) with an iphone or whatever they are called (I still have my original tracfone) and it's quite a party.  Oh, my.  Our kids want us to get one.  Frankly,  half the time, I don't want to be reached.