Respected Contributor

And just for the record....it's not "stomping" to remind people that the good old days....in this case the 1950s  and 1960s  were not the good old days for EVERYONE.  It's one thing to say, ..I remember my childhood, my family did this or I have happy memories doing that.   It's another to make generalizations about the past based on your personal experience. ..that is, forgetting that life may not have been so rosy for everyone.  My mom grew up in the 1940s and 1950s.   She graduated from high school in 1957.  She has great memories of her life back then. However, while she was admitted to Palisades Park with her friends to enjoy the park on a summer afternoon,  other children her age who were of color were not. While she enjoyed a picnic at Bear Mountain with her parents, Emmett Till at 14 years of age was lynched in another    state.   Just because she was not aware of it does not make it any less horrible.   And she realizes that now.  Do we continue to have issues in our country?   Sure, but some things have improved.   My point is that it would behoove us to think outside of our own experiences and be mindful of others.  That's all.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Respected Contributor

Re: The good ole days

[ Edited ]

In re-reading the OP I think the OP's intent was to comment specifically on her perception of more common sense in the good ol' days in terms of conservation, sharing, frugality -- a "simpler" time -- as opposed to the over-spending, wastefulness and materialism of today.  I don't think the title was meant to necessarily reminisce about one's happy childhood or imply that there were not societal issues/world problems back then.

Everyone has a different perception of the good ol' days and have expressed their perceptions here.

Trusted Contributor

@Marienkaefer2 wrote:

And just for the record....it's not "stomping" to remind people that the good old days....in this case the 1950s  and 1960s  were not the good old days for EVERYONE.  It's one thing to say, ..I remember my childhood, my family did this or I have happy memories doing that.   It's another to make generalizations about the past based on your personal experience. ..that is, forgetting that life may not have been so rosy for everyone.  My mom grew up in the 1940s and 1950s.   She graduated from high school in 1957.  She has great memories of her life back then. However, while she was admitted to Palisades Park with her friends to enjoy the park on a summer afternoon,  other children her age who were of color were not. While she enjoyed a picnic at Bear Mountain with her parents, Emmett Till at 14 years of age was lynched in another    state.   Just because she was not aware of it does not make it any less horrible.   And she realizes that now.  Do we continue to have issues in our country?   Sure, but some things have improved.   My point is that it would behoove us to think outside of our own experiences and be mindful of others.  That's all.

Anyone who remembers fondly a childhood, an event, an experience should be able to do so without using a disclaimer like "I remember how nice it was growing up for me, but now that I'm an adult, I realize not everyone had a good life so I won't wax on about my memories cause it isn't fair to those who didn't". Is that it?

No one should have to be reminded or scolded because THEIR youth was one that they remember fondly as a more simple time and wish it was like that now. I am sure that any adult would wish that their children had a good childhood.  No one has to be reminded that others didn't They still don't. So as I said earlier if you are raising young kids or grandchildren, better not make fond memories with them because unless you expose them to all the other people who are living a tough life, it wouldn't be fair and those kids and grandkids might grow up thinking because their lives are so nice and happy, everyone's must be.

Social agendas are for adults, the people posting about their childhood memories were not adults at that time and need no reminders to take away their happy thoughts.

Spin it any way you want, this thread was about people thinking back about better times FOR THEM. No one needed to rain on it. 

I'm done with P.C. Just say what you mean and mean what you say. It's easier.
Esteemed Contributor

@60sgirl wrote:

@Marienkaefer2 wrote:

Anyone who remembers fondly a childhood, an event, an experience should be able to do so without using a disclaimer like "I remember how nice it was growing up for me, but now that I'm an adult, I realize not everyone had a good life so I won't wax on about my memories cause it isn't fair to those who didn't". Is that it?

No one should have to be reminded or scolded because THEIR youth was one that they remember fondly as a more simple time and wish it was like that now. I am sure that any adult would wish that their children had a good childhood.  No one has to be reminded that others didn't They still don't. So as I said earlier if you are raising young kids or grandchildren, better not make fond memories with them because unless you expose them to all the other people who are living a tough life, it wouldn't be fair and those kids and grandkids might grow up thinking because their lives are so nice and happy, everyone's must be.

Social agendas are for adults, the people posting about their childhood memories were not adults at that time and need no reminders to take away their happy thoughts.

Spin it any way you want, this thread was about people thinking back about better times FOR THEM. No one needed to rain on it. 

@60sgirl  Well said and BTW, I love your signature.  I totally agree with that, too.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@60sgirl wrote:

@Marienkaefer2 wrote:

This is a free and open board for everyone to post - quite frankly I find your continued lecturing on how others should post to be rude and condescending.

Nobody was insulting to the OP; people were commenting on how some things were not so glorious in terms of social issues back then.  While things were better in some arenas of life, we all get it that other issues are not.  

The OP is free to choose how she feels just as other posters are free to look back with nostalgia AND with awareness of how far we've come and how far we still need to go.

There is no need to keep the two in distinct categories; it's just a conversation encompassing all facets of life.  For heaven's sake - chill out.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

continued lecturing? haha. I have 2 posts, one original and one in reply to someone's answer to me. you also have 2 posts. why are u lecturing?

I have nothing more to say so my answer to u will be post #3. if you answer me again, so wiil you.

chill out. 

I'm done with P.C. Just say what you mean and mean what you say. It's easier.
Honored Contributor

@Marienkaefer2 wrote:

Exactly.  Nobody is saying that the OP should not have started this thread; it's a conversation with a variety of thoughts.  I thought this was a free-thinking type of board; at least that's how I remember it.  lol

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Trusted Contributor

Well, congradulations to HH. Mission Accomplished!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I feel like renaming the discussion title to........  The good and bad ole days.  When I think back...I would rather think about childhood things and those things that impressed me enough to stay with me all these years.  

It probably would be interesting to have a discussion on...  The good, the bad, and the ugly when speaking of other era's but that would probably end up in subjects off limits.   

Esteemed Contributor

I just went back and reread the OP's post.  I can't for the life of me see where she was trying to bait anyone.   I don't always agree with her posts and at the very least find them curt or a bit acid tongued.  This post was not this way.  It was asking for good memories of past days.  Clicking on to a thread titled "good ole days" kind of means that - good. For those of you that are having a problem with this subject matter,  I am sorry for you if you don't have good memories. Do people that had a bad or poor past exsistence wish that others had not had a good one?  I really doubt it.  Maybe as Jubilant suggested, there should be another thread titled "the bad ole days".  I, for one, won't be clicking on.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!