Highlighted
Contributor

@jubilant wrote:

@straykatz wrote:

Agree...times were simplier....much of that had to do with less technology.  As technology advanced there was much loss of interest in a lot of things including people....for example: look aorund you when you go out for dinner....99% of the people are oblivious to the world around them including their own family as they focus on whatever is happening on their cell phone screen.  

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,It sure seems that way.  I mentioned this once before on here.....   A couple of  years ago (at a Christmas dinner at our house)  DH looked at everyone in the room and said, "Could you turn off your dang phones...they are driving me nuts"!!  Now the younger ones are instagraming so it will probably be worse this year.  DH and I keep looking at each other thinking we are hearing things.  Of course it's just everyone receiving a text.  Get 10 people in a room (or more) with an iphone or whatever they are called (I still have my original tracfone) and it's quite a party.  Oh, my.  Our kids want us to get one.  Frankly,  half the time, I don't want to be reached.

Your post is spot on.  When DH and I go out for dinner, we both turn our phones on mute and have conversation with each other.  Looking around, I see what you are saying, and that's including grown adults.  Even at the gym we go to, it seems there are people of all ages that are hooked to their phones.  There's no way I could do cardio or exercise while being on my phone only other than to listen to music.

Still the same "HisElk"; trouble logging in and lost the "old me".
Honored Contributor

What I disliked seeing was, several years back, the youngsters and their friends playing with those portable games/gadgets.  All of that loud, exploding, shooting noise coming from those videos (or whatever gadgets) at various birthday and other parties.  They are probably now young adults in their mid twenties, I'm guessing.  Are they still playing those noisy games?  Friends tell me that maybe the kids are playing them on their computers (or phones), in their rooms now.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

I just wanted to add that it is not just kids and young adults glued to their cell phones and other electronics....but also those in their 50's and 60's ...maybe even older.   I think there is something quite addictive to those electronic screens/displays along with texting and playing online games.  

Honored Contributor

Yes, I suppose some/many adults are playing those noisy, violent games, too.  p.s. Re: young children: Too much violence for their young minds. Sort of violent brain-washing, I'm thinking.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I was born in 1955, and truly appreciate the impact the 50's and 60's had on my life.  My childhood was happy and wonderful, and I wouldn't change anything about it, even if I could.  During my last years of high school, I learned about income guidelines, and learned I grew up poor!  Huh?  My parents were born during the Depression, and they grew up poor, but I never, ever felt poor.  We lived in a brand new house, always had plenty of food on our table; my brothers and I wore brand new clothes, shoes, and coats that we tried on in the department store and were bought just for us, so there was never anything about my childhood that made me think my family was poor.   We lived on part of my grandparents 200 acre farm, and were taught various jobs that were helpful to our parents and grandparents.  Before we could read or write, my brother and I knew all the grease points on grandpas Farmall Super C tractor, and I was a great washer of canning jars.  The discipline and work ethic we learned at an early age were always recognized and appreciated by our employers.  Our water was drawn from a well, but my grandparents water had to be carried from the spring, so we quickly learned not to waste water.   We had an outhouse, and bathed in a galvanized washtub in front of the wood stove until I was about 6 or 7.  Laundry was done in a wringer washer and hung on clothes lines outside, or in the basement, depending on the weather.   Our socks were scrubbed on a washboard.  I was in school before I saw milk in a cute little carton; our milk came from grandpas cow twice a day and was strained thru layers of cheesecloth.   Grandma churned once a week to make our butter and buttermilk.   We didn't have a phone until after I started to school, and our only vehicle for many years was a Chevy pickup truck.  My life today is much easier thanks to modern technology, but I remember well, and appreciate, where and how I started my life's story.   

Trusted Contributor

What a nice thoughtful post, RedTop.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: The good ole days

[ Edited ]

@60sgirl wrote:

To the people who came onto this thread and brought their negativity I have this to say:

Throughout all of history there has been strife, wars, groups people targeted, uneasiness and more. There is today in the present era and there will be in the future. There are no signs that Peace on Earth is coming soon. There are more guns and more murders every day in all of our cities.

To the OP and others who are fondly remembering THEIR youth and what they were exposed to, it was a simpler time and they don't have memories of abuse of women or other things that some of you think have disappeared because we have laws in place. They didn't disappear.

However, you come onto a thread of people with good memories and basically stomp on them and try to make them feel bad for having a nice childhood to remember. How awful to try an deny anyone good memories because somewhere else someone was not having a good life.

With that logic in mind, anyone who is sitting around today looking at their wedding pictures, birth of children, playing with their grandchildren, you know making memories, better remove those thoughts because somewhere in the city someone is being murdered, maybe a child and how dare you make a memory with your child when someone is getting killed? 

Fond memories are unique to each person and because bad things are happening the world over to other people, that does not make it wrong for anyone to enjoy their own life. 

What kind of person goes into a happy occasion and turns it into a memoriam of suffering for others? The next time you or one of your loved ones has a happy occasion or achievement, make sure you save the news that day and when you remember that happy achievement, whip out the paper and take away the happiness of that day by reading about all the bad things that were going on around the world that day. 

I would guess that no one should say how much they enjoyed watching the Andy Griffith show back then because he was such a good dad and it was a warm show because the naysayers will wag a finger and remind everyone that Mayberry didn't have any minorities in it, so that negates the whole idea of a small town of people who cared for each other. 

@60sgirl  Excellent post.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jubilant wrote:

@straykatz wrote:

Agree...times were simplier....much of that had to do with less technology.  As technology advanced there was much loss of interest in a lot of things including people....for example: look aorund you when you go out for dinner....99% of the people are oblivious to the world around them including their own family as they focus on whatever is happening on their cell phone screen.  

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,It sure seems that way.  I mentioned this once before on here.....   A couple of  years ago (at a Christmas dinner at our house)  DH looked at everyone in the room and said, "Could you turn off your dang phones...they are driving me nuts"!!  Now the younger ones are instagraming so it will probably be worse this year.  DH and I keep looking at each other thinking we are hearing things.  Of course it's just everyone receiving a text.  Get 10 people in a room (or more) with an iphone or whatever they are called (I still have my original tracfone) and it's quite a party.  Oh, my.  Our kids want us to get one.  Frankly,  half the time, I don't want to be reached.

@jubilant,     I agree wholeheartedly.  We eat out alot and everyone is staring at their phones!  No one makes eye contact anymore.  If you look into the face of a small child in a shopping cart and smile, they don't know how to respond!  Their mother or father are texting.  This is one of the most precious times to share with your child - you have them face to face with you.  This is one of my fondest memories!  As far as phones, my DH and I have Tracphones also.  Our children want us to upgrade to Smartphones or Iphones or whatever.  No thank you.  We don't want to be that connected.  We want to talk to our kids, not text.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Respected Contributor

@60sgirl wrote:

To the people who came onto this thread and brought their negativity I have this to say:

Throughout all of history there has been strife, wars, groups people targeted, uneasiness and more. There is today in the present era and there will be in the future. There are no signs that Peace on Earth is coming soon. There are more guns and more murders every day in all of our cities.

To the OP and others who are fondly remembering THEIR youth and what they were exposed to, it was a simpler time and they don't have memories of abuse of women or other things that some of you think have disappeared because we have laws in place. They didn't disappear.

However, you come onto a thread of people with good memories and basically stomp on them and try to make them feel bad for having a nice childhood to remember. How awful to try an deny anyone good memories because somewhere else someone was not having a good life.

With that logic in mind, anyone who is sitting around today looking at their wedding pictures, birth of children, playing with their grandchildren, you know making memories, better remove those thoughts because somewhere in the city someone is being murdered, maybe a child and how dare you make a memory with your child when someone is getting killed? 

Fond memories are unique to each person and because bad things are happening the world over to other people, that does not make it wrong for anyone to enjoy their own life. 

What kind of person goes into a happy occasion and turns it into a memoriam of suffering for others? The next time you or one of your loved ones has a happy occasion or achievement, make sure you save the news that day and when you remember that happy achievement, whip out the paper and take away the happiness of that day by reading about all the bad things that were going on around the world that day. 

I would guess that no one should say how much they enjoyed watching the Andy Griffith show back then because he was such a good dad and it was a warm show because the naysayers will wag a finger and remind everyone that Mayberry didn't have any minorities in it, so that negates the whole idea of a small town of people who cared for each other. 

Read the first line in the original post.  Supposedly the era written about was overflowing with "common sense".  Everything was supposedly better.  I don't agree that those two decades were rainbows and unicorns.  That does not make me a negative person.  This thread was not started as you are portraying it.   

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ah yes, the good old days.  When it was legal to discriminate  against women and minorities....when it was legal to beat your wife and lynch a person of color.  When people died of disease like polio, and survival rates from cancer were much lower.  And speaking of riding in buses. ....

Sure, there is good and bad in every era.  Live in the moment and enjoy the PRESENT. 

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero