Respected Contributor

I love computers but I miss the days where everything wasn't about being online.

I like to watch old shows when there was no internet. 

The "Pre selfie" days lol. Smiley Very Happy

Respected Contributor

@Luvtoshopathome wrote:

I agree with the Op.  When we were kids, we went outside and played, no computers, no cell phones, the family sat down and ate together, the wife usually stayed home and took care of the house and her children, no day care centers where very young children are brought up by strangers and mothers miss their child's first word or first step.  

No calling companies and having to go through multiple automated systems before, or even if you could, speak with a real live person.  When you called companies, you spoke with people right here in the U.S., no outsourcing to foreign countries, when there are so many people right here that need jobs.  All our ancestors learned the English language because they were happy to be in America.  No killings of innocent young people and children in schools, which seems to be a daily occurrence.  No bullying where young people take their own precious lives.  

And more important, we were proud to be an American because we loved this country and we were respected by other countries, not like today.   So yes, I do believe those were the Good old days where you weren't afraid to go anywhere and not live in such a stressed environment.   

Sorry but at least half of the Lithuanian, Polish, Latvian, and other Eastern Eurpoean immigrants in the small PA coal mining town I was a child in did not learn English and did not care to.  Maybe it had something to do with the deplorable working conditions in the mines.  Cave ins and other easily prevented accidents killed many, including a great uncle.  If direct injury did not kill or disable then black lung awaited, the fate of my grandfather.  His fate dictated my grandmother taking a low paying job in a factory sewing buttons for a pittance.  Alcoholism was rampant in these conditions.  I had classmates that came to elementary school obviously beaten and bruised.  I'd say they were in a stressed environment.  The good sisters and parish priests looked the other way while money was collected each week to send back to the old country.  

I did not know or understand all of this as a small child.  My mother did her utmost to shield any ugliness from me.  She must have succeeded.  I thought my world was a pretty good place.  I was ticked when we moved to Philadelphia.  Thank goodness for that move.  

Rose colored glasses must come off when looking at the past otherwise we're destined to repeat it, as the saying goes.  

Respected Contributor

Bella-Carro  I came from the type of town you are describing and every thing you stated was part of our childhood. Uncles and grandparents working in coal mines. Also their deaths in coal mines from mine cave in. Grandparents who spoke polish or slavish and all the rest of the different nationalities we had around us. None of us were rich by a long shot I can tell you that and yes there were alcholic's mixed in also. But as tough and rough as it was my grand parents still shared good memories from their times my parents shared good memories from their childhood and we kids have good memories to look back on. And yes my grandparents were forever trying to gather up a few dollars to send back to their old country were their family members would write them and tell them how bad they were having, like my grandparents were living the good life. NOT! I will say one thing for as many different foreign languages that were spoken by the granparents of all of us some way they learned enough english words to talk to all us kids in the neighbor hood.

QVC Customer Care

This thread is about nostalgia - gentle reminiscing between posters. Please avoid controversy and show tolerance to other's views.

Beth 

Customer Care

Esteemed Contributor

I remember

skates you put on your shoes and the key

ice cream trucks

catching fire flies

tar beach in NYC

invention of pantyhose

paper bag book covers

making home made candy apples

hopscotch

hoola hoops

black and white tv

tv antennas

movie projectors  watching old movies on sheets suspended between trees in our backyard on summer nights

not being allowed to wear pants to school

bell bottom jeans'

jackson five and the osmonds

soul train and american banstand on saturdays

shag carpet

vinyl slipcovers

moms wearing house dresses

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Respected Contributor

MyGirl'sMom,  do you remember Lilt and Toni home perms, and those metal clips they would put in their hair to make waves?

Honored Contributor

Re: The good ole days

[ Edited ]

@cater wrote:

Jubilant, oh those good old bologna sandwiches back in those old days we had a little corner store and on Sunday night around 5pm we would walk to that store get a pound come back to our friends grandmothers home and she would fry it up with onions put it on home made bread with cucumbers and mayo. All the kids in the neighbor hood would sit on the back porch with our sandwiches. About roller skating and riding our bikes well the Moms would come to our home and they would sit on our front porch while us kids rode our bikes and roller skated or just played games till it got dark then the Moms would gather up their kids and head for home.  I also came from a family of five with one bathroom and as you we all survived.

My Dad loved fried bologna sandwiches.  He worked swing shift and mom used to pack them in his lunch pail.  Back then we didn't use ice packs either and somehow we all lived. Yes, somehow we did live with one bathroom and we managed to share it pretty well.   I don't think that would work for me now......always nice to have one more "bowl' in the house..if you know what I mean.  I loved my roller skates.  All the kids had them.  We had a big front porch too and our house was where they all congregated.  What a blast we had!

Esteemed Contributor

@cater wrote:

MyGirl'sMom,  do you remember Lilt and Toni home perms, and those metal clips they would put in their hair to make waves?

@cater

LOL!!!!  Unfortunarely, I do!

Do you remember paper dresses and dippity doo?

Respected Contributor

Re: The good ole days

[ Edited ]

MyGirl'sMom. I remember all of dippty doo and the paper dresses. Also remember my Grandmother sewing my sister and I the exact same dresses without a pattern. Mine would be bigger cause I was chubby her's would be smaller since she was thinner. How about those bands of elastic to hold the nylons up so they would not rolll down. I can't even begin to tell you how many home perms we were given. Some times we even got to go to the regular beauty shop. I bet my sister in her collection still has those plastic rods and I bet she has some old sponge rollers. If my Mom were still with us she would be 103years old and i remember her sitting in our kitchen ironing with a mangel. She could iron any thing with that thing. We also were the first people to have a tv in our whole area it had a 7 inch screen on it.

Esteemed Contributor

@cater

The things we did to ourselves! Woman LOL