Honored Contributor

Re: The first Hurricane in the History of Hawaii

Praying for their safety as well as everyone on the islands. So thankful that my niece and her boys have moved back to Florida. They miss Hawaii and I'm sure they are scared for their friends. Be safe everyone! Hi Noel

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Super Contributor

She means the specific island of Hawaii, not the island chain in its entirety...
Honored Contributor

I hope you are stocked up well, MrsSweetieBear and stay safe with your power intact.
Trusted Contributor

Mahalo tansy. We will lose power for sure. It doesn't take much for that and this will be the worst storm I've ever gone though in my 20 years living here.

~Dogs are my favorite people and my favorite people are dogs.~
Honored Contributor

On 8/7/2014 minkbunny said:

Exactly, this is not the first hurricane in the history of Hawaii.

HONOLULU (AP) — Iselle was supposed to weaken as it slowly trudged west across the Pacific. It didn't — and now Hawaii is poised to take its first direct hurricane hit in 22 years. Tracking close behind it was Hurricane Julio, which strengthened early Thursday into a Category 2 storm.

It's the first to hit the BIG ISLAND of Hawaii...in the history of recorded weather.

Not the state, the island!

Respected Contributor

Yes, that has been established, terrier.

Your headline was misleading but many have clarified it. I was actually about the fourth poster to do so.

Hawaii is a state, of course. Mrs. SweetieBear does a great job of explaining the geography on Noel's thread.

No problem. Your thread has been deciphered.

Frequent Contributor

On 8/7/2014 MrsSweetieBear said:

Yes we all worried about these two here.

There have been hurricanes that have made a direct hit in the state of Hawaii. Iniki in 1992 was a Cat 4 and devastated Kauai. This is the first to make a direct hit on the Big Isand of Hawaii before being downgraded to a Tropical Storm. It should slightly weaken as it moves up the island chain but all islands will feel the effects.

Here on Maui, we are next in line. Everything is closed or closing soon. We are expecting power outages state wide. Personally, dh and I are most worried about huge old trees coming down on top of our house.

Thinking of you all and praying for you. I read that someone said that once the storms hit the big island that the volcanoes will really slow the storms down. I love Maui and have been there many, many times - just recently this past October. Be safe!!!

Esteemed Contributor

They are called Typhoons, not Hurricanes.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

On 8/7/2014 Love Roses said:

Hi LR -

All the news outlets I've seen are referring to them as hurricanes. I'll have to look it up to see what the difference it.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

On 8/7/2014 Love Roses said:

So... it turns out they're the same thing. Maybe the news outlets are assuming most people understand what a hurricane is but aren't used to "Typhoon."

"Hurricanes, cyclones, and typhoons are all the same weather phenomenon; we just use different names for these storms in different places."

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices