Super Contributor

The face of the spirit of Christmas

When I was a little girl, towards November I would see bags of clothing in my moms room, men's. and women's clothing, girls and boys clothing, that didn't interest me much, but the toys hidden in her closet and under her bed did. I thought they were for us for Christmas. Okay I was snooping. They never were for us of course. Which is why I believed in Santa until I was twelve. That year my mom woke me up near midnight and brought me to the living room and there were my older brothers and sisters.

There were bags of toys and clothes and food we each took what we what we could carry. My mom found out which family would not be having Christmas that year and kept a list. We went to each family and secretly carried the bags marked with their names, just one or two of us so not to make a lot of noise and hid, one of us rang the door bell and ran. The looks on their faces and the joy made me cry. When we went back home my mother dried my tears and told me what I saw was the face of the spirit of the Christmas and no matter how elaborate any Christmas church service was this was the best spirit of Christmas I would ever see, and ever know.