Honored Contributor

Re: The end of Bill and Melinda Gates' marriage

We're going to hear a million stories like that; some will and will be lies.  That's how it works.  His problem is that he did a perfect job crafting his lovable, quirky, brilliant rich guy image.  We heard a word about other women or cracks in his marriage.  He's doing what wealthy men in his age group do.  Buying young women for sport and to feel young. 

Respected Contributor

Didn't respect him much before and now even less if this is the case.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 

I don't consider someone who cheats an animal. He has faults like we all do. Lighten up. 

Honored Contributor

Bill Gates sure doesn't look the part. 

Honored Contributor

gag

Honored Contributor

People who need lots of variety in their love lives shoudn't get married, or they should get into consensual mutually open marriages. Traditional marriage + a need for lots of different partners = failure.

Or maybe things started out fine, but one partner or the other changed.

Nowadays there's no need to get into a traditional marriage and then cheat on your vows. Just find the type of relationship that actually works with your personality and preferences, and edit as necessary.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

This came as such a shock to most people, I don't think the public had any inkling that Bill was such a philanderer.  Apparently (according to a CNN article yesterday) he started an affair with a woman engineer at Microsoft in 2000.

Of course we haven't heard what, if anything, Melinda was up to.

I hate this for their kids.  Although they're young adults, nobody wants to hear such things about their parents. It would have broken my heart if they'd been MY parents. 

Nice to think someone thinks their parents are faithful.  I always knew my father saw other women.  My parents divorced when I was a kid.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee   Huh?  Unattractive, ugly, needy, beautiful and handsome people all cheat.  It has nothing to do with looks.

There is a lid or two for every pot and if the pot is full of money, it attracts many lids.

Honored Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@Hoovermom I read the same.  At least since 2000, which I think was early in their marriage.  Based on what I have heard from married men at work, I think this is very common behavior.  Sad.

I know! When a married man at work starts complaining about his wife...that's time to change the subject with a swiftness and make it clear you're not interested.

So many will try it. I like to assume many are just testing to see if they've still 'got it' and don't intend anything beyond that. And I've always admired the ones who talk glowingly about their wives. Those are the keepers.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@deeva wrote:

Not surprising if true. He's human just like everyone else. 

AND he is a man with his brain in his pants....plus he can have any woman he wants even being unattractive being a billionaire ...it goes with the territory 

@SeaMaiden the articles I read spoke mostly about unsuccessful attempts, which doesn't surprise me since I have turned away powerful men at work, to the detriment of my career no doubt.  So no he can't have any woman he wants.  But I am sure he had some "successes" too.