Esteemed Contributor

Re: The end of AM radio in cars?

@patbz 

Back in 1955 when I got my drivers license, AM radio was all there was, and for many years after. AM radio is strictly monophonic sound(not stereo).

My being into music and sound, I rigged my 1950 Mercury to simulate stereo sound. I added several speakers, in the rear window panel/rear side panels(car was a coupe), and front doors.

I added several rheostats to adjust volume on each pair of speakers, and a reverberator to add and adjust delay time to the sound. 

Can't remember the last time I listened to any AM broadcast, and don't know how those stations have financially stayed afloat. I don't see this as a great loss any more than seeing black and white pictures or cassette tapes being relegated to "used to be's"

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

I wouldn't miss AM radio, but what I would miss is a CD player.  I think my 2017 Subaru was the last year there was one.  I like listening to my CDs and books on tape for long trips.  Guess I'm just not tuned in to the latest technology.  I better get with it!

Esteemed Contributor

@elated wrote:

Every time I read about something else that is being taken, it makes me wonder how much longer will people remain silent. Little by little we are being delegated to someone's whims. It is a very sad state of affairs.

We are being delegated to "subscription services" where you will stream only and pay forever. Like music CD's, I think movie DVD's will soon be a part of the past.

I think some AM radio stations in large markets will move to XM where again you will pay.

Respected Contributor

Blows my mind that many cars don't have CD players!  The car I have now has room for 6 cds.  Depends on the mood.

I go between AM, FM and cds.

Honored Contributor

i listen to AM talk radio every day in my car. WBAL in baltimore. they also have rights to the ravens and orioles play by play broadcasts.

i would definitely miss it, BUT they do have an app for my smartphone that i can get via my alexa device in my car, so i can listen to it that way also.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Well, now I have to check.  Usually, my primary station is NPR for conversation, but I'm not even sure if it's AM or FM.  

I guess it depends, in part, on how much time you actually spend in your car.  

Esteemed Contributor

I haven't listened to AM in decades. The radio is set at an oldies station on FM. I never change it.  This channel is the only one I've found that does not play only freakin Christmas music from the day after Thanksgiving to New Years Day.  They do  Christmas music maybe every 3 or 4 songs.

When DD bought this car I was not happy to find out it did not have a CD player.

Honored Contributor

Works for me. I can't remember when I last listened to AM but it's been many years.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I believe that FM is not far behind. Soon you'll have to pay just to listen to the radio, even in your homes. Same thing happened to TV after cable came along and a lot of people got fed up with the cost. Hence free streaming options.

Hopefully some techie will discover a workaround and the AM and FM stations won't be forced to close.

Respected Contributor

@patbz @sugar plum @chrystaltree @CrazyKittyLvr2 @Tinkrbl44 + all

I am a commuter.

So I listen to AM for the road conditions, weather, local news alerts. Long time since I've listened to music during the commute. Plus they took CD away.

Wondering what I would listen to on FM (or subscription) to get the traffic, weather, local happenings during the commute drive?