Respected Contributor

Re: The end of AM radio in cars?

@patbz wrote:

Washington Post had an article about many automakers eliminating AM radio in new electric cars ( and Ford in all cars) and how this change will impact the future of AM. We haven't listened to AM in a car in 15 years ( much prefer XM). Feelings?

@patbz I listen to an oldies station here in Denver that is broadcast on both AM & FM, oddly enough the AM channel is clearer.

Also depending on who is in the car sometimes tune in to the AM sports station.

Respected Contributor

I have Siriusxm in my car but I only listen to FM and most of the time it's the oldies R&B. Love it ! 

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Well, now I have to check.  Usually, my primary station is NPR for conversation, but I'm not even sure if it's AM or FM.  

I guess it depends, in part, on how much time you actually spend in your car.  

@Tinkrbl44  In my area, NPR is on FM.

I listen to baseball or hockey games exclusively on AM.

Esteemed Contributor

@kitcat51 wrote:

I only listen to AM so it's not ok with me.

@kitcat51 

What is the advantage(s) of listening to AM radio? Been so many decades since I've listened, I have no idea what types of programming is broadcast.

I remember before FM, those long tunnels were he!! when listening to an AM song. Vertical airwaves didn't work very well in tunnels, or in thunderstorms.

Think I'd buy a $10 AM portable if my (imaginary) new Ferrari didn't have AM radio in it. Just wouldn't let my bud's know!   =^..^=

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

I haven't listened to AM in decades. The radio is set at an oldies station on FM. I never change it.  This channel is the only one I've found that does not play only freakin Christmas music from the day after Thanksgiving to New Years Day.  They do  Christmas music maybe every 3 or 4 songs.

When DD bought this car I was not happy to find out it did not have a CD player.

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

LOL .... althought I have nothing against the singer Brenda Lee, if I NEVER hear Rockin Around The Christmas Tree ever again, I'd be very happy about that.

Respected Contributor

My feelings are that I would miss it. I listen to it every day - in my car and at home on the radio (that I probably would not be able to replace anymore).

Esteemed Contributor

@Spacrazy wrote:

My feelings are that I would miss it. I listen to it every day - in my car and at home on the radio (that I probably would not be able to replace anymore).

@Spacrazy 

You can still buy AM radios for your home, and portable ones for $10 for your vehicle. Heck, they might even work better in your vehicle than 1 that is installed. 

When installed, they are in a fixed position. Remember Rabbit Ears for TV?  Same thing happens with Audio Vertical Airwaves, gotta adjust those antennas, and in a moving vehicle? Lot'sa luck.

Portable? Just move it around, kinda like when a cell phone signal goes in and out, depending on a lot of whatevers.

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

NPR stations are all on FM, mostly in and around the lower 90s, so if you travel around the country, you can find them close by. My radio doesn't know there are other stations, because that's all I play. 

It's really not a question of things being taken away--radio spectrum is highly regulated because it's a limited resource and there's more demand all the time from all the things people want. Perhaps the AM radio band will be at least partly reallocated to other uses, because it's used less and less for broadcasting all the time. Also, AM goes out a long way, and there may be interference issues.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just got a new vehicle the end of March and it doesn't have a key, or a cd player and now that I think of it, no AM. 

I like to listen to a local AM channel for traffic when passing through Philly. But now that the mayor's race is going on there, no thanks....

If I'm on a long road trip, I used to tune into AM talk radio when I thought if it.  Kind of stinks if it's not going to be available any more.  Oh well....

Trusted Contributor

We subscribe to Sirius XM as well and listen to that 99% of the time. But when we are visiting somewhere with self-guided tours we often need to tune in to an AM station for the site's info also traffic updates on most interstates, and a lot of the emergency weather updates if we don't have our weather radio with us.

Critter Lover! (especially cats!)