Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Re: The digital interview - anyone experienced this?

@Snowpuppy  Yes, this is becoming quite common. I already have a phone interview scheduled, so was confused as to the sequence of the contacts. Seems digital comes first, then phone, then add'l interviews, etc.  I guess it seemed out of sequence, but in big companies there are many people with their individual responsibilities and lists to check, so perhaps there wasn't an alignment. Gee, imagine that...

I"m going to embrace the opportunity to use a new technology and make it work to my advantage. I shall exhibit enthusiasm and the ability to adapt!

How can I gauge my fit -- after all, not only is the company evaluating me but I am evalutating them -- without the personal contact. Guess it's just a gatekeeping step.

Honored Contributor

I would never do a interview that way (camera). I have done a phone interview. That's as far as I would go.

Trusted Contributor

UPDATE: After much thought, I've decided not to pursue the job. Not because of the digital interview, but because of a number of things regarding the position itself and my goals.

At least now I know that this interview tool is out there and will be delighted when a prospective employer desires to actually meet me.

Honored Contributor

@missy1wrote:

I would never do a interview that way (camera). I have done a phone interview. That's as far as I would go.

In that case, they'd drop your from the list of applicants and move on.  It's not like they give you a choice.  

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltreewrote:

@missy1wrote:

In that case, they'd drop your from the list of applicants and move on.  It's not like they give you a choice.  

That would be fine by me.

Esteemed Contributor

@LonestarBabswrote:

I have been asked to participate in a digital interview as part of the hiring process at a large Fortune company. No human interaction -- you sit in front of your device with camera and microphone activated and and answer programmed questions within a certain # of minutes. Your facial expressions, body language, and vocal inflections are assessed. A dashboard is created comparing you against other candidates using artificial intelligence algorithms, and the hiring team(s) can then play back your responses and share their opinions within the dashboard.  If your responses and demeanor are aligned with "match criteria" defined by the employer you could then be asked for additional in-person or phone interviews.

Has anyone experienced this approach?

I haven't but I probably wouldn't participate in such an "interview," it sounds creepy, weird, and almost an invasion of one's privacy....I would be concerned that the video of said "interview" would not be released to any OTHER entity/company/person.

I wouldn't want to be assessed by an algorithm.

Apparently there is no one there capable of interviewing a person.

Wouldn't want to work there. JMO

Trusted Contributor

I'm drafting my "please withdraw my application" note today. I'm going to mention that I prefer to conduct preliminary explorations of a prospective employer through two-way dialog to then determine mutual interest -- I'm happy to do the phone interview as scheduled but the use of  Hirevue’s one-way digital interview up front does not align with my preferences for initially evaluating a potential employer. I will also mention that I'm certainly available for two-way videoconferencing.

How do I know I would even want the job if I can't ask questions up front to proceed? Frankly, they're wasting my time and theirs with this one-way programmed nonsense. And I have serious privacy concerns. I did some research over the weekend and it certainly confirmed/aligned with my concerns.

If a company acts this way when you are a candidate, how will they treat you as an employee? No thanks. If you don’t care enough to talk to me first, then you are not my employer of choice. And if you're so focused on saving money and time that you're willing to use this dehumanizing approach and outsource to a third party platform instead of train and equip your HR staff to do their job, I question how you'd support me as an employee.

Honored Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillowwrote:

@LonestarBabswrote:

I have been asked to participate in a digital interview as part of the hiring process at a large Fortune company. No human interaction -- you sit in front of your device with camera and microphone activated and and answer programmed questions within a certain # of minutes. Your facial expressions, body language, and vocal inflections are assessed. A dashboard is created comparing you against other candidates using artificial intelligence algorithms, and the hiring team(s) can then play back your responses and share their opinions within the dashboard.  If your responses and demeanor are aligned with "match criteria" defined by the employer you could then be asked for additional in-person or phone interviews.

Has anyone experienced this approach?

I haven't but I probably wouldn't participate in such an "interview," it sounds creepy, weird, and almost an invasion of one's privacy....I would be concerned that the video of said "interview" would not be released to any OTHER entity/company/person.

I wouldn't want to be assessed by an algorithm.

Apparently there is no one there capable of interviewing a person.

Wouldn't want to work there. JMO

ITA. Where could this video interview end up?

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LonestarBabs, good luck!  LM

PS, just read your second post.  I believe it is a good idea that you provide the specific feedback to the prospective employer.  I would also find some young professionals, especially any that have done this, and get their feedback.  I wouldn’t be dismissing an opportunity out of hand without discussing it with someone who has been through the process.  I would be also interested to know how headhunters view this technology.  It could be career limiting to dismiss it out of hand.  LM

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Even if I wasn't interested in the job, I would still do the digital interview as practice so that the next time it came up I would have a little experience with how it works.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN