Regular Contributor

Re: The different ways that words are pronounced

Just thought of one more irritating one..saying eXcape instead if eScape.
Respected Contributor

I once roomed with a girl who got terribly  annoyed with people who committed grammar boo-boos out loud.

Whenever she heard someone say,  "Where is it at?" instead of "where is it?",   she'd say, "it"... is BEHIND the "at". 

I once got in an argument with a friend of my husband's over his misuse of the terms "photogenic" vs. "photographic". 

Having  been a paid, professional writer and editor for the first 18 years after college, I cut people slack for grammatical errors and have learned to tolerate typos (incuding my own), but it drives me a little nuts to see words misapplied.

Valued Contributor

@Tenners wrote:

And then those folks go to the coffee shop and order an EXpresso.  (...should I say those folk's?)

Smiley Tongue

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

sallybusky wrote:

Tenners wrote:

And then those folks go to the coffee shop and order an EXpresso.  (...should I say those folk's?)

Smiley Tongue

Since you asked (bolded by me), is it ok if I reply?  Smiley Happy

No apostrophe because the word is a plural, not a possessive.

This is another HUGE peeve of mine.  I see so many people, all over the place, putting an apostrophe in a plural.   I didn't used to see that.  It's just been over the last ten years or less.  

Anyway, the apostrophe would denote a possessive - e.g.;  This is Suzy's house.

No apostrophe in a plural - e.g.:  There are ten apples in the barrel.  Lots of folks come here to talk.  

Smiley Happy  

Then there's the 'plural possessive' where the apostrophe goes at the end of the word - e.g.:  This was my parents' house.  That denotes that the word parents is referring to two or more people and it is also possessive. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Chickenbutt,  Thank's for the tip's....I did that intentionally.  (I've alway's thought there needed to be a sarcasm font.)Smiley Wink

P.S.  It's a huge pet peeve of mine as well!

Honored Contributor

I will add my pet peeve to this informative thread. It is the misuse of the word myself. That word should never begin a sentence such as: Myself and Jayne both own this jacket. [One of the morning hosts on QVC uses a version of that sentence frequently.]

Myself is a reflexive pronoun meaning it should only be used as an object of a sentence - not the subject. I am going to buy myself lots of birthday presents this month. She is treating herself to some lemon gelato. 

~~~"Patience is the power to do nothing when doing something won't do anything but make everything worse"~~~
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

sallybusky:

I vote for your suggestion that a sarcasm font be created.  Humor and irony crop up in many places......it would be good if everyone could recognize when this happens.

Trusted Contributor

@Tique wrote:

I will add my pet peeve to this informative thread. It is the misuse of the word myself. That word should never begin a sentence such as: Myself and Jayne both own this jacket. [One of the morning hosts on QVC uses a version of that sentence frequently.]

Myself is a reflexive pronoun meaning it should only be used as an object of a sentence - not the subject. I am going to buy myself lots of birthday presents this month. She is treating herself to some lemon gelato. 

I thought this was taught in elemenrtary school. I remember my teacher hounded it into the ground so that we would not grow up using it improperly in such manner.

I assumed others did as well.

Most QVC hosts have a past in TV journalism , radio, or such. Seems like someone would have corrected it in this person before now.

Which now brings to mind. Considering all of the word , sentence, and grammer  problems the host have and misuse, why doesn't QVC employ a grammer coach or English teacher so they wouldn't embarrass themself and therefore also QVC???

Esteemed Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

One other reason I've been amused by this thread is that...........

I often say "IT DON"T MAKE NO NEVER MIND TO ME", along with a shrug of my shoulders.  I also say it with sort of a southern twang.

Have always picked up accents easily in a sustained environment, and have been married to a Southern guy for many decades, so what can anyone expect?  Yet, I'm  perfectly capable of squaring my shoulders and telling off anyone who irritates me, using  the most proper, most precise, most emphatic plain English they've probably ever heard. (heh!)

I was, however, surprised to read on this thread that the  phrase is actually supposed to be, "It don't make me no never mind."  Learn somethin' new ever-day.

The first time I ever heard "It makes me no never mind," was on M*A*S*H, spoken by Frank Burns. I've never heard it since. I guess it's a regional thing. I think it's cute! 

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Highlighted
Super Contributor

I haven't read all the posts, but we southern gals say "NECKKED"  If I said that here where I live in Cali, I'd get funny looks so I say "NAAAAKED" here (but secretly think neckked)  Smiley Wink

Spoiler