Super Contributor

@scatcat wrote:

I've heard some workers/shoppers sign up for the job then don't show up, leaving people w/o their groceries.

I've heard that some shoppers initially include a generous tip, and then once the groceries are delivered, go in and change it to a much lower number. 

“…nevertheless, she persisted.”
Trusted Contributor
Can’t imagine having a shopper select groceries for me. I’ve been grocery shopping for 60 years, and I know just what I want ..... certain brands, expiration dates, freshness of produce, sale items..... shopper/delivery? Ain’t happening for me. I take every health precaution when shopping, obey all CDC guidelines, and I food shop only every two weeks.
Honored Contributor

@LorelaiGilmore wrote:

@scatcat wrote:

I've heard some workers/shoppers sign up for the job then don't show up, leaving people w/o their groceries.

I've heard that some shoppers initially include a generous tip, and then once the groceries are delivered, go in and change it to a much lower number. 

@LorelaiGilmore 

How disgraceful is that?

These shoppers put themselves at risk just as much as we would if we were in there shopping for ourselves and then to do that to them, well, that's just beyond.

People are just so disgusting sometimes.

Honored Contributor

Re: The delivery "shoppers"

[ Edited ]

@stevieb wrote:

I don't mind tipping these folks a bit more generously, certainly better than one would tip a pizza or other prepared food delivery person, but I'll be darned if I'm tipping them fifty percent of a several hundred dollar food order... Kudos to those who can afford to do so, but for most of us that's a bit beyond our ken... I'd also note that there are differences among the delivery services... Some use store staff to put toether the orders and employ drivers to deliver them, so with these, when one is tipping, one is tipping the delivery driver... I've not yet used a service where the person putting together the order is in direct contact with me... Frankly, where I live, availability seems so limited, I'm not sure it would be desriable... Regardless, I'm not giving anyone a hundred dollar tip for this service... 

@stevieb, I think that the poster who said that she gave 50 percent tip was very generous. I doubt that that is very common. We ended up giving what we thought was a 20 percent tip, but since our total was a bit less than anticipated, it turned out to be bit higher.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Re: The delivery "shoppers"

[ Edited ]

@CJC wrote:
Can’t imagine having a shopper select groceries for me. I’ve been grocery shopping for 60 years, and I know just what I want ..... certain brands, expiration dates, freshness of produce, sale items..... shopper/delivery? Ain’t happening for me. I take every health precaution when shopping, obey all CDC guidelines, and I food shop only every two weeks.

Yep, well, in that proverbial perfect world... I suspect many of us would be doing most of our own shopping, but right now, especially, this is not remotely a perfect world... We do what we can and what works best for us... I'm more invested in staying out of the store than pretty much any other variables mentioned here...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@judy0330 wrote:

@chickenbutt   I am exactly the same way you are in terms of picking out the perfect produce and reaching in the back for the best expiration date.  I never had any interest in grocery delivery because of that --  until this happened.  I have to tell you that every item I have received has been exactly what I would have chosen.  I obviously cannot speak to every area of the country -- but I can tell you that where we live in CT -- all of my friends who have been using Instacart have had the same experience.  

I have stopped buying anything that cannot be easily sanitized at this point but I did buy things like raspberries and strawberries in the early days.  I love being able to watch the shopper shop online -- approve or not any substitutions -- and have the ability to text with them.  When the order arrives I ask them to deliver to the garage and sanitize everything before bringing it into the house.  I would do the same if I went to the supermarket myself.  Bottom line -- I have -- surprisingly -- been very happy with the service.

@judy0330, I salute your diligent disinfecting. We're not so good at that. But we did thoroughly wash our hands about a million times in the process of putting our groceries away. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

I have used both Wal Mart and Target's delivery service.  I like Walmart's service better.  Wal Mart has a shopper and then a different person delivers.  I have been pleased with the service. Haven't had any issues with items...fresh food or produce.

If a specific item is out, they notify me to see if I want a substitute.  I specify frozen/cold foods must be cold and the use by date at least a week a way. Due to my back issues, delivery person brings my bags inside my front door. I immediately spray and wipe items down.... This service is a huge help to me!!!

Honored Contributor

I also enjoy shopping for my own groceries and have been pleasantly surprised by Instacart.  I get deliveries from Costco and a high end local chain (where you would not be able to find bad produce even if you looked for it).  It seems lately the deliveries are by out of work construction guys - it may take them a little longer but I certainly have to give them credit for being out there hustling to earn some money.  Now if Trader Joe's would have delivery my life would be complete.  My only complaint is with so many people using them it is difficult to get a delivery date.