Respected Contributor

I'm so glad I am not starting the year with any Christmas debt.  Just shared a day out with my friends for Christmas instead of buying presents.  I stopped buying Christmas gifts years ago - would rather just enjoy the day or a lunch with a family member or friend.  The thrill of a gift lasts about 2 seconds, then it's over.  Spending a memorable day out lasts forever. 

Respected Contributor

Re: The day after - no regrets!

A day spent with family and/or friends, sharing a meal, just enjoying the day is the most important part of any holiday.  I do buy presents but only what I can afford and within my budget, so everything I've bought is already paid for.  

Respected Contributor

I put money aside for Christmas all year.  I use cash for all the gifts  

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

This is the first year in a very long time that I stuck to my Christmas budget. I have a Christmas Club but most times I always go over what I have put aside. I was determined to break that pattern this year and I finally did it. What a stress reliever. I could not believe how much more relaxed I was feeling as the charges were arriving and I knew they were already paid.  

Honored Contributor

I did both.  I shared time and a meal, then exchanged gifts.  I paid cash, so no bills coming in.

Honored Contributor

We stayed on budget with no debt.  Will cut back further next year.

Honored Contributor

It's been years since I had any Xmas debt.  I was the "Christmas provider" for my family in terms of gifts, food, and any celebration/cheer, so I spent what it took without going into just-paid-off-before-next-Xmas territory.

Now I buy well within my budget, as do those who buy for me. If I am ever extravagant, these days it's usually for myself 👹

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

Didn't have Christmas to deal with this year.  Have a major health problem and had to pay surgeons and doctors in advance before they would even treat me.  So much for having Federal Blue Cross and meeting my deductible.  So no Xmas gifts were purchased this year.  Zero balance on credit cards.  I'm happy about that. 

Honored Contributor

@BlingQueen022 ... you should have been the one getting cash gifts!  Wish you well on getting thru your illness.  May you have a healing, healthy New Year ahead.  Sending a healing, loving, blessed hug to you.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

Yay for no holiday type debt!  That's always good.

We stopped doing gifts several years ago and it's just great - for us, YMMV for others who still enjoy that.  I don't begrudge anybody that.

I haven't had any credit card debt for many years now.   Whatever all I purchase I pay off at the next statement.    It's very freeing to not be saddled with credit card debt.