Honored Contributor

Re: The cost of campers these days --wow!

[ Edited ]

@italia8140 wrote:

@muttmom wrote:

@brii wrote:

For $400,000 I want land and a real house. 

You and me both.

I've never been camping and do not feel I'm missing a thing.

You're not. I went once and never again. I wouldn't have a camper even if it were free. I don't find anything appealing about tiny cramped quarters.

Tiny cramped quarters?   Not so much tiny cramped anymore.  With the slide out rooms, they are quite large. We have more space in our camper than what is available in the average motel/hotel room. and we don't have to sleep on a used bed with used sheets or use a "public" toilet.  No bed bugs or dirt left by others. One of our campers has 2 bedrooms and 1.5 baths and it's towable.

Camping is not for everyone, I agree.  Everyone is different.

Contributor

So last year my husband and I did a five month hike from Mexico to Canada and every national park we went through we would always see these enormous RVs all clustered together in the campgrounds. For something that is supposed to afford such freedom
of movement it seemed to me that all the people did
was watch tv, grill, walk their dogs, and make shopping trips into town. All you had to do was go a few miles into the backcountry and there was never anyone there. We always felt a little strange when we had to stay next to RVs in our little two person tent, but it also afforded us the flexibility and maneuverability to really see what was out there in a way they I'm not sure an RV ever could. I'm with the poster that would rather spend the money on lots of different types of vacations. But whatever, I'm sure the RV crowd would not be feeling our tiny little tent, baby camping stove, and a spade for a bathroom, so to each his own.
Honored Contributor

@Anita Bourbon wrote:
So last year my husband and I did a five month hike from Mexico to Canada and every national park we went through we would always see these enormous RVs all clustered together in the campgrounds. For something that is supposed to afford such freedom
of movement it seemed to me that all the people did
was watch tv, grill, walk their dogs, and make shopping trips into town. All you had to do was go a few miles into the backcountry and there was never anyone there. We always felt a little strange when we had to stay next to RVs in our little two person tent, but it also afforded us the flexibility and maneuverability to really see what was out there in a way they I'm not sure an RV ever could. I'm with the poster that would rather spend the money on lots of different types of vacations. But whatever, I'm sure the RV crowd would not be feeling our tiny little tent, baby camping stove, and a spade for a bathroom, so to each his own.

I am lost....what could you do in a tent that can't be done in an RV? 

Not picking on you. I am just curious. There is nothing wrong with camping in a tent.

Trusted Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@italia8140 wrote:

@muttmom wrote:

@brii wrote:

You and me both.

I've never been camping and do not feel I'm missing a thing.

You're not. I went once and never again. I wouldn't have a camper even if it were free. I don't find anything appealing about tiny cramped quarters.

Tiny cramped quarters?   Not so much tiny cramped anymore.  With the slide out rooms, they are quite large. We have more space in our camper than what is available in the average motel/hotel room. and we don't have to sleep on a used bed with used sheets or use a "public" toilet.  No bed bugs or dirt left by others. One of our campers has 2 bedrooms and 1.5 baths and it's towable.

The average hotel room is small, IMO. When I vacation, I either rent a condo or a house or stay in a suite, all of which are bigger and more spacious than a typical camper, and all are a lot more comfortable.

Honored Contributor

We had our times of much less luxurious camping but now at 66 and 71 we are not interested in sleeping on the damp ground or digging a hole for a BR, or living on trail mix and jerky. However, if that is what you consider a great time - go for it and enjoy.

BTW - where we are currently camping there is a 15 acre mowed field and 8 camping sites surrounding this field. So you absolutely can not say we are right on top of each other at all. Is it more expensive to be up here away from the rest of the campground  - of course - but money very well spent in our opinion.

Honored Contributor

@italia8140 wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@italia8140 wrote:

@muttmom wrote:

@brii wrote:

The average hotel room is small, IMO. When I vacation, I either rent a condo or a house or stay in a suite, all of which are bigger and more spacious than a typical camper, and all are a lot more comfortable.

Clearly the person who wrote this does not know how beautiful and spacious campers can be these days. Ours is right about 400 sq ft. Hardly a cracker box by any standard. Our living room area is 14 ft wide x about 10 ft long and with all the furniture built in that is quite spacious. My kitchen is also 14 wide by about 10 long, and includes an island that is 2ft x 8 ft.

Trusted Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@italia8140 wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@italia8140 wrote:

@muttmom wrote:

@brii wrote:

Clearly the person who wrote this does not know how beautiful and spacious campers can be these days. Ours is right about 400 sq ft. Hardly a cracker box by any standard. Our living room area is 14 ft wide x about 10 ft long and with all the furniture built in that is quite spacious. My kitchen is also 14 wide by about 10 long, and includes an island that is 2ft x 8 ft.

I know how big 400 sq. ft is. That's not large or spacious, especially for 2 people.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@italia8140 wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@italia8140 wrote:

@muttmom wrote:

@brii wrote:

I have to agree with you, but not everyone likes the same thing.  We camp and also vacation in hotels and condos.  There are advantages and disadvantages to each.  One disadvantage of a camper is that we will not drive across country with it, so if we visit the West Coast, we fly and book a condo or hotel.  Also, we can't take our camper overseas.  I know you can rent a camper in many countries, but it's too much trouble for us to do so IMO.

One advantage is our camper is clean, and big with no dirt or mold issues and we always have a suite with a kitchen with us, we can take our pets too....and we can vacation more often.  We usually are not home on weekends during the summer months and now that we have both retired, we'll not be home much at all.  It gives us the freedom to just get up and go. We also can cook meals if we desire or go out to eat.  I do not enjoy eating out.  Most of the food is not up to my standards and I do not trust the cleanliness of the kitchens or wait staff...my problem, I know.

Everyone is free and should be able to choose whatever lifestyle they like.  There is no good, better, best when you get to travel in whatever style you choose.

Honored Contributor

I TA Carmie - I love to travel and not have to think about who was in the room before us, I have asthma and things like molds in the heater/AC units can really cause me to have an attack. Not to mention how often I have seen people sneak in small dogs and cats in large purses. Unless the purse meows or wimpers on it's own in the elevator, and we stay only in Hamptons or Hiltons where my DH has frequent user points, and pets are forbidden. my camper is clean, and we are quite comfortable. And there is the factor of being able to take your pet with you if you have one.

Contributor

Carmie,
No worries, it's an honest question.
An RV restricts you to roads, and in some cases septic and electrical hookups. You can't climb up a mountain and find a little spot next to a stream in an
RV. The experience of nature is completely different. But truth be told I am a great deal younger than the
average RV owner so it's not entirely logical to assume all retirees want to backcountry hike (although I have met many thru hikers who were well over 60 and I hope to be half as awesome as they are
at that age).