Honored Contributor

Re: The cost of campers these days --wow!

Lipstick diva - it is generally best to stay at KOA campgrounds as the KOA organization has pretty strict standards. A bit more expensive but worth it.  You can get a directory from Camping World that tells all the KOAs across the country and Canada. My first marriage we went on a camping trip across the country in his father's truck camper for our honeymoon.We had great fun.We also took it to Woodstock, we were the only ones I saw there that had a dry place to sleep.

Honored Contributor

I have a cousin whose in-laws were members of an Air Stream club.  They shipped and pulled their huge silver bullets all over the world. They were quite wealthy and upgraded and updated every few years.  Even back then they were a small fortune. When they died they left my cousin and her husband this (what she called) huge monstrosity.  It cost them a fortune to use and maintain it. (in addition, my cousin hated it)

Before we were married, I thought it was amusing our parents thought it was fine if we said we were going camping with John and Suzy.  Yet, if we'd said we were going to the Holiday inn with John and Suzy, it would have been an emphatic NO. I never went camping but did go to the Holiday Inn.

Super Contributor

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

We won't be buying one again.  Easy to buy but hard to sell unless you give them away.

-----------------------

ITA. IT's like owning a boat. I heard this once, "The two happiest days of owning a boat (camper) are the day you buy it and the day you sell it".

Trusted Contributor

Why not just rent one when you feel like taking a road trip? I can't imagine spending hundreds of thousands on a vehicle that immediately depreciates at an alarming rate. Imagine all the fabulous vacations you could afford for $400,000!?!

Honored Contributor

@Lynneuk wrote:

Why not just rent one when you feel like taking a road trip? I can't imagine spending hundreds of thousands on a vehicle that immediately depreciates at an alarming rate. Imagine all the fabulous vacations you could afford for $400,000!?!

The people who were buying these on the TV show we watched were getting them to live in because they travelled  for their jobs. So they were going to be full time homes for them. One of the couples had a child who needed space for her home school , for example, so that was something they looked for. You can easily purchase a travel trailer for around $25,000 that would be very comfortable for family vacations. But you have to also buy a truck or something like a Chevy Suburban to tow it. RVs & boats are like cars - there is one for every pocketbook.

Respected Contributor

We just think of a trailer as a mobile motel.  Its just a place to sleep and relax when we are not out doing things.  Its ours. Our own beds, chairs etc, thats why I like it.

Honored Contributor

I think the idea of renting one first is a great ideai even though that is pricey as well.  But I've never advocated just jumping right in buying something if you've never done this before.  Some people hate it, some think it's an awful lot of work (trailers are more work than 5th wheels for example, and 5th wheels more work than motorhomes).... and some just love the idea that you have your own stuff, beds, clean bathroom, coffee machine, etc....  like me!  Woman LOL

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

When we were travelling with our fifth wheel I liked being able to just bring my clothes out, put them in the closet and dresser and that was all the packing needed.I had the linen closet packed with sheets and towels etc, Stop at the grocery store and we were ready to go.

Now we have a "destination trailer" - while it is able to be moved we do not move it. We live in it for the summer every year in the same place when we snowbird north from Florida, We no longer own a truck to pull a trailer and this trailer would be too long to tow easily. However, we are very comfortable staying here for the summers and we enjoy the campground people and atmosphere. 

Honored Contributor

Our first camper  was purchased used in the  90's.  It was a hippymobile.  It had orange shag carpet and matching rust colored chairs and sofa. There were ashtrays built in everywhere.  It also had an 8 track player.  It was a model from the 70's but was in pristine condition.  We had  ton of fun with that camper.  We sold it (for more than we paid for it after using it for 4 years) and bought a bigger one in 2000 at an RV show during a winter snowstorm near Philadelphia.

That camper was too big to store on our property, so we took it to a permanent site near a lake.  We had fun in that one too.  Often we would hook up and drive it to a vacation spot.  We visited Maine, Tennessee, New Jersey, New York, New Orleans, Canada, Virginia and well as many other places. 

We visited an RV show and found a bigger camper that we liked better, so we bought a new one in 2012.  That one is now on the permanent site and th slightly smaller on is stored close to our home.  We use the one at the lake from May to October a lot and tow the smaller one year around when we feel like kick'n back and visiting someplace.

I like the camper...no tents for me.  Our beds are large queen/king with sleep number mattrsses, we have a bathroom with tub/shower, gas stove/ microwave oven, AC, heat..everything you could want.

The camper on the permanent site has a huge deck with awning and landscaped site. it's very relaxing to spend summer nights there after being on the lake with our pontoon boat all day.

We have made many permanent friends and met lovely people.  Gone are the days when only people looking for a cheap vacation had an RV.  Today people from all walks of life vacation in them.  It doesn't matter if you pay $300 or $300,000 for one.  People are always made to feel welcome when camping.

My husband had to talk me into buying that first one.  I didn't think I'd like camping as an adult, but the lifestyle is one I hope we never have to give up.

We plan to visit another RV show this month.....we will leave the check book home.  I told hubby that we are ONLY LOOKING, not buying.

Honored Contributor

Believe me, I understand what you all are saying about having your own bathroom, kitchen, sofas etc.  Believe me!

We just go from house to house for summer and winter months. (They're both summer homes.) I don't even really have to bring clothes with me.  We have everything we need from bathrobes to blenders already there. 

Oh and great neighbors, too. 

I get skeeved out with hotels anymore (and I can't believe I used to love staying in them all over the world).  Bleck!

But for a $400,000 price, I would put that towards a house and land.  Doesn't have to be a sprawling 4 acres, either!