Trusted Contributor

Re: The cost of campers these days --wow!

@151949 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@muttmom wrote:

@brii wrote:

For $400,000 I want land and a real house. 

You and me both.

I've never been camping and do not feel I'm missing a thing.

@muttmom wrote:

@brii wrote:

You and me both.

I've never been camping and do not feel I'm missing a thing.you are missing meeting a lot of fine and wonderful people , some have become lifelong friends.

I agree.  We have never been interested in camping.  You can meet nice people in lots of places.  But traveling with a trailer or in an RV just holds no appeal for some of us.  I do know people who love it however.  Whatever floats your boat--which is something and were glad to get rid of!  LOL!!!

OK - fine - so WHY open this thread then, just to dump on the conversation? When I see a topic I am not interested in I just go on by.Instead you felt compelled to open this topic and make negative comments.The subject is quite clear in the title of the thread.

READ post #16. No, you don't, UH.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it's unfriendly.

Respected Contributor

Seriously ..QVC Social Team had to remove TWO comments on this thread? Why is that even necessary?

I don't get it...why would somebody post something unkind on a topic such as this? 

Respected Contributor

Because of the drought many CA state beaches no longer have showers. I'm not sure about our parks but they are probably closing shower facilites or at least limiting water access. I doubt I'll ever own one but I like the little campers (B class?). 

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@muttmom wrote:

@brii wrote:

You and me both.

I've never been camping and do not feel I'm missing a thing.

@muttmom wrote:

@brii wrote:

You and me both.

I've never been camping and do not feel I'm missing a thing.you are missing meeting a lot of fine and wonderful people , some have become lifelong friends.

I agree.  We have never been interested in camping.  You can meet nice people in lots of places.  But traveling with a trailer or in an RV just holds no appeal for some of us.  I do know people who love it however.  Whatever floats your boat--which is something and were glad to get rid of!  LOL!!!

OK - fine - so WHY open this thread then, just to dump on the conversation? When I see a topic I am not interested in I just go on by.Instead you felt compelled to open this topic and make negative comments.The subject is quite clear in the title of the thread.

I'm not dumping on the conversation or anyone.  I don't hold it against anyone whose interests and likes are different than ours.  I enjoy reading about what others like and why they like it.  As I said, it is for some and not others.  I do believe in the past I have seen a few of  your posts where you disagree with the subject of the thread.  I don't see any problem with that since it is a discussion board.  I do see a problem with those who can't "discuss" a subject sometimes.  I wish people weren't so thin skinned about someone different from them.

Respected Contributor

You can find great deals on campers on craigslist.

Trusted Contributor

We've had 3 different RVs. Between $5000 to $60,000. We got into RVing because I've always had pets and didn't want to put them in a kennel. RVing is great for families. You have your own clean bathroom, kitchen and bed. I never had to worry about bed bugs or theft from a hotel room. I thought it was a very comfortable, affordable way to travel.

Esteemed Contributor

My brother had a nice motorhome and the family loved going away on the weekends. It was expensive back then too...gas was high...he had to buy a truck powerful enough to tow it and then he had to pay to 'store' it over the winter. His HOA wouldn't allow it in the driveway.

Now the boys are all grown up and he sold it....got about half of what he paid for it when he sold it.

Honored Contributor

DH and I recently bought a truck camper.  We are just getting into this so we looked for a gently used one because we didn't want to spend a lot of money, not knowing if we'd be all that interested in it.  It took us a long time to find a good used one.  What some people consider gently used is my idea of wrecked.  LOL  The one thing you have to really watch out for is to make sure they never leaked, especially the roof because then you have real problems.

For us, this is okay for now but if we were going to be gone every single weekend, I would want something bigger.  Prior to buying this we looked at RV dealerships and even the pop-ups can be amazing and very spacious. 

Some camping facilities are very nice and some, not so much.  We really research where we are going before heading out.  Some have nothing to do, some have all kinds of activities, some you are more secluded and some you are camper on top of camper, on top of camper. 

I too have watched these programs and am amazed at the customized campers people have built and the cost of them.

You want to see something else crazy, watch a program about the tour busses some of the singers and groups have to go on tour.  Holy cow.         

Honored Contributor

DH and I have camped since we met and originally rented pop-ups from the Navy.  We got married and looked for our first little trailer (18' and used)... and hauled that around with our first son who was just several months old.  Loved it.... had our second son and graduated to a little larger trailer (22 ' and used) and when they grew enough that we decided we needed more room we bought another used trailer at 24' with bunks in the back.  We banged the heck out of that one.... the boys grew up seeing this monumental country and visiting relatives!  They said it was the best and have wonderful memories and that's given us great pleasure. 

Yes, the prices are really ridiculous but going used and repairing what you have to (my husband is really good at that and keeping things up) is really worth the effort if you enjoy this kind of life.

The boys are all grown up now and seeing the country in their own ways .... and DH and I have graduated to a 34' Motorhome that we've had for years now and purchased new.....   We love doing this, and are just about ready to leave for a trip to Yellowstone for a week.....

It's been our life and to us has been incredibly worth it..... Woman LOLWoman LOL

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*