Honored Contributor

The cost of campers these days --wow!

[ Edited ]

We were watching a show about campers - all types from pop up tent campers to gorgeous class A motorhomes - and the costs were really eye opening. Not to say they weren't awesome - some of them certainly were. But we are talking $400,000+ for those amenities like 2 bathrooms and 2 bedrooms and double vanity sinks in the master baths, plus beds that raise up & down to watch tv., dishwashers and laundries.WHEW.Even a little pop up tent camper like we had bought when we were first married for a few hundred dollars was $10,000.  And the toilet was in the kitchen - what is wrong with that!?!? For $10,000 I want a wall between the toilet and my kitchen at least. It certainly made us see our nice 2 year old trailer in a new light.

Honored Contributor

Re: The cost of campers these days --wow!

For $400,000 I want land and a real house. 

Respected Contributor

We have been looking....we dont want a pop up like we had with the kids.  Im so over that..but would like a nice 18 to 20 foot for us to just take off for the weekends.  But i want my conveniences.  Hubby has been eyeing the airstream Bambi, but for only 16 feet and close to $45000. I think we can do better.

Respected Contributor

@mcall1020 wrote:

We have been looking....we dont want a pop up like we had with the kids.  Im so over that..but would like a nice 18 to 20 foot for us to just take off for the weekends.  But i want my conveniences.  Hubby has been eyeing the airstream Bambi, but for only 16 feet and close to $45000. I think we can do better.

@mcall1020 wrote:

@mcall1020 wrote:

@mcall1020 wrote:

@mcall1020 wrote:

He is looking at what used to be "the cream of the crop" in travel trailers. They were well made, but I could never stand the roof  on it. Very expensive. He can do much better.(here in the West they are called travel trailers, not campers.)

mm

"Cats are like potato chips, you can never have just one".
Honored Contributor

Apparently these days 45 grand is just an average price. There were several couples buying fifth wheels for $250 to $350,000 and then they still had to buy a pickup truck, which a truck to pull such a large, heavy camper would cost around another $50,000 or more depending on what you want.

Honored Contributor

It's fairly easy to find a lightly used RV at much lower prices.

Respected Contributor

We won't be buying one again.  Easy to buy but hard to sell unless you give them away.

Esteemed Contributor

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

We won't be buying one again.  Easy to buy but hard to sell unless you give them away.

So true here in Northern MI. You can pick them up cheap on CL or a consignment broker.

People tire of them quickly when they find out they don't use them as often as they hoped to. Start out with a great plan for hunting and fishing up here and then sell them in short order.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have some experience with used campers , by the time you have to replace the mattresses and furniture that people have destroyed and fix the floors because they let sinks and showers leak all over them,you can buy a new one.

On the other hand ,though,we bought a new Montana fifth wheel in 2002 for $25000 and sold it in 2014 for $12000.We used it a lot over those 12 years, but my DH is meticulous about maintainence . The shale well worker who got it was thrilled with it for that price.We saved a lot more than $12000 on hotel rooms and restaurant meals over those years.plus we could take our dog on vacation with us,which was why we camped in the first place.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I have some experience with used campers , by the time you have to replace the mattresses and furniture that people have destroyed and fix the floors because they let sinks and showers leak all over them,you can buy a new one.

The key words were "gently used".

Smiley Happy