Esteemed Contributor

Re: The cost of an education

@151949  Previously, you have told us you had a full scholarship. Another time, you said your grandfather's employer paid for you to go to school. Now you are telling us the hospital reimbursed you after working five years.

That's three stories I'm aware in less than ONE year! How can anyone believe anything you ever say?  EYEBALL ROLLS

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Valued Contributor

Re: The cost of an education Then & now

Many of the "name" schools have huge sports arenas that cost a fortune. Then they hire coaches that go for millions of dollars. The teams go all over to play and they take a charter plane, more money. The team can't possibly stay at a Motel 6 so the hotel costs a bunch. All that goes into your tuition even if you don't play a sport.  The people that run the school make a really nice wage, and that goes into tuition, too. Then when they get someone to speak at the school and their title starts out with "Former" whatever they charge a couple hundred thousand for 1 or 2 hours to give their opinion on something. More tuition. Give me some little small town school that no one has heard of with no sports team and that's where I went to school. My school had no team, no dorms, and we went around the calendar. No summers off. I lived in a room in a lady's basement, went to classes, and then worked a job at the school. Now, the school is  more well known and they charge a lot more, but there's still no team or dorm. We had one speaker when I went, and that didn't go over well. I don't know if they hire them now, but they decided it didn't make sense back then. With the "big" schools you pay for the name and the teams. Not to mention the idea men in the front office.

Honored Contributor

Anyone else have the feeling that we're living in OP's world? Life evolves, nothing stays the same so please stop telling us how to spend/save our money. 

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

nurses.....there are GREAT jobs available with the department of defense.

excellent pay, excellent benefits, good travel opportunities.

And for kicks you can be blown up by AEDs.

@151949  It's IED's as for a "nurse" that is a truly horrible thing to say.

Have you seen our vets who have been disabled by IED's??  Not a "kick" by any means.

Shame on you.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

I give up!

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

Does anyone want to lnow how much i paid for college 52 years ago? 

Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

Doesn't anyone else feel higher education is the responsibility of the parents? Our son was planned after we were married four years. We also planned his education; invested wisely and by age 18 the money was available. He had a 50% scholarship. No debt and money left over is still in my name. 

We learned from my paternal great-grandparents who had sent all four of their children to Uni of MO and my maternal great-grandparents, who sent all three of their children to various Universities (of their choices). Both my mom and dad (only children during the depression) were raised by parents who saved and sent them away to out-of-state  Universities in the 1940's. My dad did stop his education in MN to enlist in WWII.  Mom returned to Uni. of Omaha in her senior year due to the gas rationing. Her dad thought it best she not be driving her car from Nebraska to Missouri during the War when gas coupons were used. My education funds were also saved during my childhood and ready when I turned 18 (as was my sister's). 

Both my husband and I returned for further education at our own expense. He went on for his Master's and two PhD's. He was fortunate to have the GI Bill to help us with his endeavors. I've gone on for a couple of other degrees in different fields prior to changing positions and/or companies. I was fortunate to work for a Fortune 500 Co. which paid my tuition; I picked up the cost of books, fees and labs (which often was more than tuition). We never had a cent of student debt. During our years as students, we both worked well over 40 hours per week (no paid overtime in our positions). It was grueling at times, but well worth it in changing careers and knowledge of our fields.

My son and DIL have most of my grandson's expected tuition already invested for him. It will continue to earn interest for the next seven years. At 18, he'll be ready to go to any school he desires. If he's like his dad, he'll have a scholarship and not need all of the funds set aside! Beats having to take out a loan.  

We started saving and investing for college the day she was born.

She still thanks us when she sees how her friends are still struggling with loan payments and gets it now why her father missed some of the school plays, recitals and concerts because he was working.

Respected Contributor

I don't see any point behind the OP at all, other than it's just another attempt by the OP to blow her own horn somehow. Everything evolves and changes over time.I graduated from college in the 80's and the first entry level professional job that I got with a mere Bachelors degree in management, now requires an MBA in finance. That's not a bad thing. Of course tuition costs more than it did than. So does everything else. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Esteemed Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@151949  Previously, you have told us you had a full scholarship. Another time, you said your grandfather's employer paid for you to go to school. Now you are telling us the hospital reimbursed you after working five years.

That's three stories I'm aware in less than ONE year! How can anyone believe anything you ever say?  EYEBALL ROLLS

What dose it matter pertaining to the topic being discussed? 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

There are so many added fees it's ridiculous. At the college my daughter attended, the cost went up 2k every year and continues to rise.

You can get an on campus apt with a full kitchen, but were still required to buy the meal plan if you lived on campus. The cheapest plan was $2000 a semester. Crazy.