Honored Contributor

Re: The cost of an education Then & now

@GenXmuse wrote:

And?

Here we go...........................Again! (sigh)

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

Re: The cost of an education

@Bri63 wrote:

@151949, you didn't pay for your education.  Your grandfather's boss did..    He stormed into his boss's office demanding he make good on keeping his word to pay for your education.  

He paid my tuition - only. I paid everything else.And there was a lot more. I worked all the way thru nursing school. I would have gotten a schlorship anyway - I graduated with honors and had straight A all the way thru school - only bad grade I every got was a C in chemistry - so I had to take it again to get a B to go to nursing school.

QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

@lulu1 wrote:

Isn't a semester a half year term? How can you go to school 3 semesters a year?

If there are 3 terms in an academic year, each term is a trimester.

You go year round. No summer vacation.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

nurses.....there are GREAT jobs available with the department of defense.

excellent pay, excellent benefits, good travel opportunities.

And for kicks you can be blown up by AEDs.

???? i do not understand your comment at all @151949.

excellent opportunities working for the department of defense and you dont even have to be working with patients.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@151949I hear you. That niece of mine who graduated with a BSN and went to work at our regional teaching hospital in the Intensive Care Unit, lasted 8 years in that position. IMO the pay was not that great for what she had to contend with and it was ruining her health. My niece now works starting IV's all over the hospital, I have to think that's a waste of her education, but her health come first. IMO nursing is not an easy profession.

Honored Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

@151949I hear you. That niece of mine who graduated with a BSN and went to work at our regional teaching hospital in the Intensive Care Unit, lasted 8 years in that position. IMO the pay was not that great for what she had to contend with and it was ruining her health. My niece now works starting IV's all over the hospital, I have to think that's a waste of her education, but her health come first. IMO nursing is not an easy profession.

Actually , working on the IV team is very difficult on your back. All that bending over chairs and beds.

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

She may be speaking of nurses at the VA.  The VA recently expanded their service reaching into communities like the one I live in.

A vet can receive limited care and services at a local VA clinic without traveling hours to a hospital.

I believe you meant IED and not AED. 

Honored Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

She may be speaking of nurses at the VA.  The VA recently expanded their service reaching into communities like the one I live in.

A vet can receive limited care and services at a local VA clinic without traveling hours to a hospital.

I believe you meant IED and not AED. 

thanks for the explanation @Snowpuppy.

i was not even speaking of nurses working with the VA hospitals.

i was referring to a desk job at the department of defense where you would work with people in the medical industry AND people in the pentagon.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Many military nurses aren’t in combat zones, OP.