Esteemed Contributor

Re: The cost of an education Then & now

@151949  Don't know what this post is supposed to mean.

Perhaps you need to DONATE generously to your former nursing school without mentioning it to anyone. You are the only person I've ever seen who would post all the financials of 50 years ago. Who cares? 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@jeanlake wrote:

My career is in higher education and for over 3 decades I've watched tuition and textbooks, and now online class fees, skyrocket. It's no wonder young professionals delay first home purchases by as much as a decade because of student loans.

I had read something a few years back the the price of a college increased when student loans became easier to get. 

Its true and makes sense. Its the same reason health insurance is high. Everything under the sun is covered.  Whenever a third party is involved cost will sky rocket.

Esteemed Contributor

There is a youtuber i wattch who is a travel nurse. It sounds so interesting. Basically her assignments are like 2 months. You fill in for people out on materity leave and other long term things. She gets to choose what city she wants to go to. Plus can take time off between assignments by just not taking one when one runs out. Sounds like a very cool job. I would say she has been a travel nurse a few yesrs. She makes a ton of momey.

Honored Contributor

nurses.....there are GREAT jobs available with the department of defense.

excellent pay, excellent benefits, good travel opportunities.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@ccassaday wrote:

There is a youtuber i wattch who is a travel nurse. It sounds so interesting. Basically her assignments are like 2 months. You fill in for people out on materity leave and other long term things. She gets to choose what city she wants to go to. Plus can take time off between assignments by just not taking one when one runs out. Sounds like a very cool job. I would say she has been a travel nurse a few yesrs. She makes a ton of momey.

@ccassaday

i have a friend who does something similar, although she is a respiratory care therapist. she does stay in one general area though. she fills in for others who are out sick, maternity leave, on vacation. she pretty much can set her own terms (days she works, time off, etc.....) she has been making great money for years.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

Isn't a semester a half year term? How can you go to school 3 semesters a year?

If there are 3 terms in an academic year, each term is a trimester.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

$32,000 for two years of college is cheap - paid more than that for our daughters senior in college 7 years ago.

But they don't come out with a degree. They have a diploma and , assuming they pass their state boards, they are an RN. But to get a bachelors degree they have to still go to college, and believe me, you need that BSN to make a decent salary and to advance.

Respected Contributor

Unfortunately, the average salary for a registered nurse in the state of Ky is something like close to 15% below the national average.  That said, I think the median salary is around $57,000.  All hospitals around here hire new graduates readily if you graduate from an accredited BSN program.

Even though we are on the low end for average RN salaries,  depending on the type of nurse practitioner here, they would make $100,000 after a couple of years with a practice.  

I can remember my first 3 years of college in nursing cost $302/semester.  That included tuition, living in a dorm with a meal plan for any 2 meals a day.  My senior year, that tuition increased to $315/semester.  Can't believe I remember that!

My graduate degree was another story.  I went to a private university which was expensive.   I  ended up only paying for books & lab fees because I taught nursing for that university & they paid reimbursement based on how much you taught. We saved for our kids education & put our first completely through college.  The 2nd one opted for a vocational program which cost about as much as college, lol.   

Neither of our kids had to take out loans so that was a big positive then!  

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

@lulu1 wrote:

Isn't a semester a half year term? How can you go to school 3 semesters a year?

If there are 3 terms in an academic year, each term is a trimester.

@lulu1

most of the colleges and universities around here call them semesters......fall semester, spring semester, summer semester......some even have a shortened winter semester.

Honored Contributor

Re: The cost of an education

[ Edited ]

@blackhole99 When I graduated in 1969 my take home pay for 2 weeks was $169. When I finished my BSN I got a $1 an hour raise, however the hospital had paid my college tuition, if I signed a 5 year contract.

When I retired in 2007 I was making $30 an hour but I was working so much overtime I made $110,000 that last year,that I worked FT. The last 5 years I worked in dialysis and it was the most brutal job I've ever had. It truely ruined my back having to push 300 pound machines all over the very large hospital to all the various ICU departments.Not to mention the horrific hours , on call - so many bad things.