Valued Contributor

Re: JC Penney Makes Offer to Buy Kohl’s

A couple of months ago (maybe Christmas time?) I was surprised to see a TV commercial from JCPenney!  It kind of made me happy because I thought they must be getting healthy again.  Penneys was a wonderful store throughout the 60s, 70s, 80s and early 90s.  I don't know what the heck happened but the bottom just fell out!

Never shopped much at Kohls.  The one nearest me was always messy and you needed to set yourself on fire to get any attention from someone who worked there.

Some people have mentioned the great stores that are gone now.  Here in my area we had two beautiful department stores, Jordan Marsh and Filenes.  They were both victims of corporate mergers and were all turned into Macys.  Maybe it was because I resented them for taking my favorite stores away, but I have seldom done any shopping at Macys.

Folks in Chicagoland were very resentful about losing their Marshall Fields also.

Progress is wonderful and necessary, but I don't see how the loss of the shopping ex-

periences we had back in the day is considered to be better.

Can you imagine if someone at Sears Roebuck Co. had said at a corporate board meeting "Hey, we have a massive catalogue distribution center network and an entire country that has our catalogues.  Let's put it online and sell that way too!"  They would have been Amazon and WalMart combined!

Respected Contributor

I always loved JCP.  It has been around as long as I can remember and I am up there in age.  Kohls is okay but there is not a store near me and the JCP closed here years ago.  There is not really much to shop at anymore so I mostly order online.  The only store around me now is Bealls and a little run down Belk.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I hadn't been in a Kohl's store for some time. I went in looking for athleisure wear for DH to wear to the "Y".  I was amazed at how many name brands they had to choose from. Also their Sephora section was huge and  so much more to choose from then JCP's. 

I didn't used to like Kohl's but I am rethinking it now. 

Respected Contributor

So sorry to have been misleading.  Have edited this thread.

I am just disappointed to think Kohl's may be sold and changed.  The store I go to is very nice and was recently remodeled and a big Sephora was added.  

I stopped shopping at JCPenney years ago after a bad experience with their furniture department.

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

Re: The company that owns JC Penney Makes Offer to Buy Kohl’s

[ Edited ]

The part of town where our Kohl's is located is like driving during Christmas shopping time so not a fan of that when Penney's is much closer.  I did go back to Kohl's about two years ago after not going for about the same time frame.  Still the same the sales clerks are all spending their time talking to each other than asking if anyone needs assistance.  I never felt like they really had a great selection. 

I remember when Mom took us to Penney's in the '60's and the cash was sent in a tube up to the office then the change sent back down.  The only thing I have been buying from Penney's for the past 8 years is clothing for my young grandchildren. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

I'm a JCP onlne shopper.  I haven't been in a real store in about 10 years! 

They have great sales and sell the kind of things / brandsf that I buy.  

I've never shopped at Kohl's - online or in person.

Honored Contributor

JC Penney was my go to for work clothes twenty years ago until they built a Kohls around the corner and I lived there. 

Unfortunately, Kohls got ridiculous with their credit card sales people floating around the store and cashiers wanting to know if had or wanted to have their store card which I don't. I got tired of being accosted especially after saying no thank you at least twice or more during my visit and I left and haven't been back in over a decade. 

I now wait for free shipping day at the Q and pick up the clearance items from D&C and IM.  Cheapest most convenient way to shop yet. 

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@millieshops   Wow!  You brought back wonderful memories when you fonted "Gimbles."

The good old days......

Lit Brothers

Wanamakers

Strawbridges

Bambergers

When females would go shopping dressed to the nines in heels & males wore suits complete w/a starch shirt & collar!  Smiley LOL

You must be from Philly!!!

Valued Contributor

I read on a news site yesterday that Kohls is testing opening Aldis grocery store options in a store in the midwest (I think I might be off with the location), and may decide to expand that to get more foot traffic.  I was surprised to read that Kohls used to offer groceries at some point in their history, but then the did away with that part.  I guess what was old is new again.

Honored Contributor

I hardly think Kohl's sells "junk".  In fact, the computer table that I'm sitting at right now came from Kohl's.  It's excellent quality and was a great price.  I expect it to last for many years.

I also have a lot of clothing from Kohl's (am currently wearing an outfit from there) and have no complaints about that either.

They also have a generous 6-month return policy for any reason.  (Exception - electronics, but that's the same as many retailers.)

Just because someone doesn't particularly like a store/retailer, doesn't mean it sells "junk" and that's insulting to those who choose to shop there.

And I truly hope they do not try to merge Kohl's and JCP.