Honored Contributor

Re: JC Penney Makes Offer to Buy Kohl’s

I like Kohl's and I don't think they have cheap junk.  I don't find things every time I go in there but I often do.  We don't have many store around us that are decent to shop in so I would hate to lose this one.  I always used to enjoy shopping in Penney's and my family shopped there as long as I can remember.  It was a sad day when we lost ours and many other nearby stores.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Penneys has become the Walmart of department stores, a skeleton of its former self. I hope they don't buy Kohls.

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac    Thanks for the info.  I knew JCP had declared bankruptcy although I don't invest in them, so I never read the details.    Also knew Kohl's has been struggling -  might be interesting if someone can make them more profitable.  

Profits and the bottom line seem to be dirty words for many shoppers, but no profits mean no investors which leads to closures.  I've watched that happen pretty much all my shopping life -   maybe from when Gimbels went under decades ago and Steinmart just a few years back.   

Honored Contributor

@millieshops   Wow!  You brought back wonderful memories when you fonted "Gimbles."

The good old days......

Lit Brothers

Wanamakers

Strawbridges

Bambergers

When females would go shopping dressed to the nines in heels & males wore suits complete w/a starch shirt & collar!  Smiley LOL

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Trusted Contributor

@elated I agree about JCP's petite section!  It was a really nice department years ago with a great selection.  Alot of stores seem to have really gone downhill with their petite selections.  I remember when our mall had Petite Sophisticates - an entire store!  I loved that store!

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

JCP has filed bankruptcy, closed stores, etc. how many times?????  Now they are flushed w/$$$$ to purchase another retail store?

It's ridiculous, right?

Like Sears and KMart or the A & P and Pathmark. 

Eventually they can both go out of business.

Trusted Contributor

I don't think JCP and Kohls sell 'cheap junk'.  I find things I like at both..... 

Regular Contributor

I actually LOVE JC Penney!!  I'm fortunate to still have one in my mall and it's always well stocked and very well kept.  My closet is filled with Liz Claiborne and Ana... and a few St. Johns Bay clothes. And I love their homegoods too. They have great prices and sales. I never could  find clothes that fit well or hold up well from my Kohls nearby. Some things are so overpriced and not enough sales.  (And I don't want to get their credit card just for their sales).  I have been holding on to a Kohls gift card for the last year which stays unused because I can't find anything to buy whenever I go in there.   So, in my case I'm thrilled to hear about this posibility of JC Penney buying Kohls..... but I just hope they can affort it. 

Trusted Contributor

@CAcableGirl2 wrote:

If true, that reeks of Kmart acquiring Sears.  Now both retailers are gone.

I like Kohls and shop there occasionally.  I can't remember the last time I was in JCPenney.

@CAcableGirl2 I had the exact same thought.  If this happens that is the end of Kohls.

I shop at Kohls because it is the only place in my town to shop for clothes but do go months without shopping there at a time.  

Esteemed Contributor

@mimomof4 wrote:

@CAcableGirl2 wrote:

If true, that reeks of Kmart acquiring Sears.  Now both retailers are gone.

I like Kohls and shop there occasionally.  I can't remember the last time I was in JCPenney.

@CAcableGirl2 I had the exact same thought.  If this happens that is the end of Kohls.

I shop at Kohls because it is the only place in my town to shop for clothes but do go months without shopping there at a time.  

There goes the neighborhood. I like Kohls. I haven't been into Penney's for years but the one by me seems ok. If Penney's buys Kohl's I'm sure it will go downhill. Then all that will be left will be Macys and Dillards.