Honored Contributor

Re: The cancercenter commercials

[ Edited ]

@on the bay

These commercials really upset me....All it does is make me relive the horrible memories of relatives/friends/co-workers who fought the disease and lost. And with some of the stories the CCA treatment sounds no different than what our local hospitals are doing here!!!  I grab the remote and quickly turn the channel!!!

The only thing worse are the commercials for cancer fighting drugs---same thinking applies as above

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt=

I'm so sorry-

Cancer takes so many away from us all.

I was just thinking today how much I admire all the women on here who go through this with such help for each other, just being there to talk whenever they need to.

I don't know that I would have such courage in fighting it all.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@on the bay wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I got so sick of the commercials that I did a little research and found very negative results about the company. One was that the numbers they tout are more from their not accepting the most difficult cases.

@suzyQ3-

I did the same as you because I thought they sounded so hopeful!

And maybe they are, if you have the right insurance and the money, and a possibility to survive. Somehow this is just wrong.

I think any beneficial treatment should be available to everyone. Yes, everyone.

Other countries can do it. I wish we would too.

@on the bay, don't even get me started. The inequality that is built into our for-profit healthcare system is uncivilized and inhumane.

Can you even imagine when I DO get started? :-)

@suzyQ3

My sister and I were talking about medical care--and how most of it seems to be all about the money....Mostly doctors just shove a prescription at ya, (and these prescriptions have side effects worse than your ailment)...and these presciptions just treat the symptoms, so nothing is really cured, and no test are run to determine the real root cause of your ailment.  Contrast that with taking your pet to a veternarian---they run tests to determine the root of the problem---and when possible the ailment is taken care of and the problem is cured!!!  My sister and I think our pets get better care than we do...........Woman FrustratedCat Frustrated 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ValuSkr wrote:

Sometimes I think "cancer" has become such big business that researchers will be less motivated to find a cure.  Or that potential cures will be undermined or buried by parties (big business) that have the most to lose.

@ValuSkr

What you say is scary and probably near the truth.  It mirrors a program I saw on the Pharmaceutical Industry with doctors, pharmacists, researchers, and a couple people affiliated with one of the drug companies, and a former employee of a drug company.  Basically its all about just follow the money......

Example, they have OTC drugs for arthritis in Europe with little or no side effects which totally relieve the pain! Compare that to prescribed drugs here in the U.S., with serious side effects, cost a lot of money, and the patients are STILL in pain! But the drug companies fought to not let the European medication into the U.S. because the drug companies would lose money......Woman Frustrated 

This program was on a few years ago and what they predicted for today was totally accurate!!!!!!!  We are now living the nightmare they saw for the future for drugs and medical practices.

Respected Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@on the bay

These commercials really upset me....All it does is make me relive the horrible memories of relatives/friends/co-workers who fought the disease and lost. And with some of the stories the treatment sounds no different than what our local hospitals are doing here!!!  I grab the remote and quickly turn the channel!!!

The only thing worse are the commercials for cancer fighting drugs---same thinking applies as above

I take one of the cancer fighting drugs that is advertised. I'm 3 years post diagnosis of a disease that would have me dead by now, 20 years ago. So no. I don't give a darn if they want to advertise. All I know is it's working. Insurance covers it.

I don't really have a strong opinion about the CTCA commercials.  I don't treat there but I do treat at a local cancer treatment center. I credit them with keeping me alive and feeling pretty good today. I won't be cured. They were totally up front about that, but I know I'll have state of the art treatment however long I get to hang around this life.

Regular Contributor

My husband was treated at Mayo Clinic in Rochester for Bladder Cancer.  I asked his doctor about the Cancer Treatment Center and he replied that he had no respect for any doctor that went to work there.  He had nothing positive to say about them.  To be honest, Mayo was not able to cure my husband either.  He was diagnosed in May 2014 and the cancer took him in May of 2017.  Anyone who has gone through the hell that is Cancer is vulnerable when it comes to a promise of a cure. Unfortunately there are centers that will give false hope & make a lot of money doing it.  Mayo Clinic was honest from day one...his doctor told us the odds were not good for a positive outcome even though my husband was only 57 at the time of diagnosis and seemingly quite strong & healthy.  

I too believe that a cure is not likely, too much money to be made on the treatments.  A cure would kill the gravy train!

Respected Contributor

I've taken time out of my pity party to read every comment here.

Tomorrow I meet my oncology surgeon.  The last 3 weeks have been a blur of testing leading up to the words I dreaded hearing.

Esteemed Contributor

12 yrs ago I was diagnosed with Stage 3 Ovarian Cancer (which my mother died from). Had surgery/chemo. For several years afterward, I went to my surgeon's office for a checkup. (I also went to an oncologist). Then my surgeon moved his office a few miles away - I was alone and parked my car in their lot --- and I looked up at this big building and in Giant Letters it said "Cancer Center." It just had a terrible affect on me. I then changed doctors - and he's in a  small 1 story building - which feels more comfortable. I've been cancer-free for many years --- and totally recovered. I did have a great surgeon (he's one of the best) - and those Amgen drugs.

Honored Contributor

@Ms tyrion2-

I'm so glad they found something that works for you and what a wonderful attitude you have!

@Spurt-

Your post!

My mother had a bad attack of kidney stones when she was in I think it was Spain. Years ago! She said they gave her a pain medication that took away the pain but had no side effects like nausea, or feeling high, just took away the pain.

She never heard or saw of it here in the states. For years I wondered about that and what it was.

I remember researching this and finally coming across a  drug for pain that is used in Europe but not here. I've since forgotten the name of it.

As for cancer treatments, I think some are very fortunate and we don't know why others aren't. It seems we hear of some new treatments but then we don't. I know they are having some success with targeting the cancer cells with immunotherapy?

I do know my father who died while I held him in my arms, agreed with a friend that they would both not do radiation again.

We believe the radiation helped to contribute to his death. Not that he would have lived a tremendously long time.He had esophagael cancer, was treated and then had prostate cancer. He was the first to be treated with targeted radioactive seeds in his state.

We think they gave way too much radiation to his espohagus. So all these treatments are scary.

I don't know what I would do if faced with cancer. I guess none of us knows until we face it.

I'd like to hope that cures aren't surpressed because big pharmacy would lose money. Maybe there is often not enough money to fund new treatments. I don't know. It is scary to think about what the greed for money can

do.

I know in some way most all of us have been struck with cancer or have a loved one who has. It is hopeful to always read of new treatments but I guess like all treatments and drugs, they will not always cure nor help everyone. It seems to be something we all face and can't get away from. 

It will be wonderful if cancer is ever obliterated from our lives wouldn't it?! 

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

@lulu1 wrote:

I've taken time out of my pity party to read every comment here.

Tomorrow I meet my oncology surgeon.  The last 3 weeks have been a blur of testing leading up to the words I dreaded hearing.

Hang in there @lulu1.

I know how scary the early days are. 

I've found a sense of humor and a positive spirit makes the process bearable. Vent when you have to and be kind to yourself. Wear your lipstick and earrings to all your doctor appointments! 😊