Super Contributor

Re: The busboy who cradled a dying RFK has finally stepped out of the past

Poor man and yes a great story .

Honored Contributor

Thank you for posting this.  Poor man, what an awful thing to carry for so long.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Thank you for sharing this story.  I cannot imagine what it was like for this brave young man.  Reading that he went to school with RFK's blood crusted under his nails because he chose to, brought tears to my eyes.

I remember every detail after hearing RFK was shot.  We had stayed up all night studying for a final exam.  We went to church (on campus) and prayed the remainder of the night.

Later that week after I returned home, we stood along the railroad tracks watching the funeral cortege pass by between NY and Washington.

Respected Contributor

Thank you for posting this.  Glad things are improving for him.  Can't even imagine witnessing such a tragedy, and knowing what to do.  No wonder he has emotional scars.

The movie "Bobby" was on the Cozi Channel a couple of months ago.  Of course, the last scene was very moving.  I didn't realize others were also shot at the event and survived.

Honored Contributor

Thank you for posting this. I had actually read the piece in its entirety this morning, when more often I tend to skim.

My favorite part is one that I won't quote for fear of derailing all the wonderful comments here about this man who unwittingly stepped into a very important episode in our country's history.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I am moved to tears.  What a wonderful human being he is. Thanks for the story.

I was 20 when Kennedy was shot, not old enough to vote.  But I was so passionate of full of hope . I heard kennedy speak once during the "Grape Boycott", and farm workers rights rally.  He was an intense, emotional speaker.  He spoke from the heart.  At least that is what I felt.

Honored Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

I am moved to tears.  What a wonderful human being he is. Thanks for the story.

I was 20 when Kennedy was shot, not old enough to vote.  But I was so passionate of full of hope . I heard kennedy speak once during the "Grape Boycott", and farm workers rights rally.  He was an intense, emotional speaker.  He spoke from the heart.  At least that is what I felt.

In 1964 I was a Young Dem.  The convention was held in Atlantic City and we were ushers. One afternoon they had a youth rally.  Paul Newman was the emcee and the Johnson Girls hosted.  RFK surprised us making an appearance.  Later that night he introduced a film about JFK.  There was a thunderous ovation that seemingly went on forever.  I will never forget this little man standing at the dais, sort of mumbling the applause was not for him, rather for his brother.  I still get choked up just thinking about it..

Trusted Contributor

This story really touched me also and the photo is truely heart wrenching!!  My dad worked at the Ambassador Hotel for 30 years as a chef but had already retired when this happened!  I remember him telling us many times about the celebraties and some politicians who would come walking through the kitchen and would stop and talk to the employees and how many of their hands he shook!Heart

Trusted Contributor

Thank you so much for posting this, Gato. It brought back a lot of memories. 

Very sad time.