Honored Contributor

Re: The brutal toll on meatpackers

[ Edited ]

@Reever wrote:

I have to wonder WHY this is happening?      Is it possible that the disease is spreading rapdily there due to unsanitary conditions in our slaughter houses and meat processing facilities ?  Where is the FDA ?   Although the Government has told us the disease is not spread by animals I worry that no one really knows how it is spread.  The entire thing sounds very scary. I certainly would avoid any pork for the forseeable future. Just not worth the risk.

@Reever, did you read the opening post? It explains what's going on in these plants.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@tobes wrote:

@esmerelda @suzyQ3 Here is an article that disputes hogs/pigs/pork is slaughtered in U.S. then sent back to china to be packaged and returned to the U.S.  I believe this settles one report that may be in error. Just the other side of the story but China does own Smithfield. I first heard about the discarded pigs on "This Morning With Maria Bartiromo"

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2020/04/14/fact-check-smithfield-owned-chinese-firm-se...

Yes, thank you, @tobes.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Reever wrote:

I have to wonder WHY this is happening?      Is it possible that the disease is spreading rapdily there due to unsanitary conditions in our slaughter houses and meat processing facilities ?  Where is the FDA ?   Although the Government has told us the disease is not spread by animals I worry that no one really knows how it is spread.  The entire thing sounds very scary. I certainly would avoid any pork for the forseeable future. Just not worth the risk.

We look away. The FDA is understaffed and underfunded right now compared to what they are expected to monitor. We are lucky to even find out when Romaine is tainted.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

Getting past the false informatioon, I really hope that something will be done quickly to prevent more disease in this very vulnerable but very importan population of workers.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is going off topic.

Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Getting past the false informatioon, I really hope that something will be done quickly to prevent more disease in this very vulnerable but very importan population of workers.

Agreed. I saw someone on here posting and blaming the governor for not calling for sheltering in place, but I don't believe the governor makes decisions about what goes on at each workplace. When that many people form one plant get sick, it tells me Smithfield failed their employees. I don't think a shelter in place would have change the outcome there, because they would have been declared essential workers.

When this is all over, I'm going to remember which companies did right by their employees and which ones did not and use the power of my wallet to act accordingly.

Honored Contributor

@Reever , you're taking the subject of this thread way off course. The workers are spreading the virus among themselves, large groups of workers clustered together. Also super market workers are becoming ill.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Esteemed Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

@Reever , you're taking the subject of this thread way off course. The workers are spreading the virus among themselves, large groups of workers clustered together. Also super market workers are becoming ill.

ITA @JaneMarple - It appears he/she is now doing it purposefully. 

Super Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

I don't know what planet this @Reever person  lives on.   

Esteemed Contributor

@Porcelain  and @Reever  We have a few large meat processing plants within 5 miles of our house. The employees often live together and/or travel together in large vans to their plant. They are more likely to be closer to each other outside of work. Unfortunately, they are also often supporting families outside of the US.