Honored Contributor

Re: The brutal secrets behind 'The Biggest Loser'

I'm surprised someone hasn't dropped dead yet.
Respected Contributor

I do not watch the show but remember seeing the video of Julian Michaels when she saw for the first time how much weight a winner lost. I think she quit after that season. I saw her on a talk show and while she skirted the real issue, you could tell she was not comfortable with these extreme weight losses.

Respected Contributor

On 1/18/2015 brii said: I'm surprised someone hasn't dropped dead yet.

I was thinking the same thing!

Respected Contributor

On 1/18/2015 Pqfan said:
On 1/18/2015 brii said: I'm surprised someone hasn't dropped dead yet.

I was thinking the same thing!

Me too!!

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Honored Contributor

Even a person in good shape could drop dead with those extreme workouts.
Super Contributor

I'm also surprised no one has collapsed and died during a workout yet. I would be interested in how many contestants stayed at average weight after their season ended.
Super Contributor

Let's see. What's the premise of the show again?

Audition and cast a group of severely overweight, depressed people at the end of their rope and put them on National TV. Throw them together in a house to compete against each other against impossible circumstances, grueling workouts, starvation diets, shame them, call them lazy, barely reward them psychologically when they're doing well, dangle a monetary carrot in front of them to give them incentive, get them to the point where some become almost anorexic because they want to be the skinniest of them all to win the prize, get an audience to watch desperate people do desperate things to win money, clap and praise the skinny winner...{#emotions_dlg.glare}

Esteemed Contributor

It's not healthy to loose a lot of weight quickly, anyway. It's a lifestyle change.

Super Contributor

Most if not all of the people who agree to be on the show have tried multiple ways including diet, exercise and various programs to lose weight because their health is at risk. Nothing has worked to reduce the weight and almost all all have serious heath problems because of the excessive pounds. They do have to agree to the terms of the show in order to stay in the program and possibly win the title BUT they can quit at any time although they then forfeit any chance to win. Over the years there have been contestants who have left...........and forfeited. It isn't for all but for some people it has been the solution to managing their weight and has helped many over the years. Personally I lost 40 pounds or so just watching and using their diet and exercise tips at home........This was over one season of the show which actually runs longer that just the weeks that all of us see on TV so that gives the contestants longer to lose the weight than you think. It motivated me to change my diet and to increase my physical activity all at home without diet pills or gym memberships...........again everyone has to make the decision for themselves. Every program does not work for all.
Honored Contributor

I tried to watch the show in it's beginning and when Jillian Michaels started yelling at one of the lady contestants, I turned it off. I just wanted to put my fist in the trainer's face.

I don't like to watch verbal abuse.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise