Honored Contributor

Re: The boy in the box has finally been identified after a 65 year old mystery

[ Edited ]

They will now know  to research the parents ,and siblings ,if any are still alive.How sad,  God only knows what all he went through.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mz iMac @It's an open case. The geneologists and two retired detectives working with them were able to get a court order for the birth certificate of the child. Beforehand they obtained records of any child born or adopted by the mother Identified by the DNA. They had the birth mother's name first. From the birth certificate, they were able to get the birth father's name. Police are looking for tips and do not want to do any damage to the case. They also want to protect the privacy of a sibling or siblings. We will have to wait for more information.

There was a lady with the first initial M , sometimes referred to as Martha, that came forward a few years ago. She said her mother bought the little boy from a couple in 1954. She said he was subjected to extreme physical and sx abuse. She said he stayed down in the basement and was there around two or 2.5 years. She said he died after a beating and that he had just eaten baked beans before he died. She said he was thrown down against the floor after vomiting the beans. She said he was given a bath and died while in the bath. The woman does have a mental illness but the child's stomach did contain baked beans and his fingers showed wrinkling from water.  Police had not revealed this information to the public.  She said her mother had cut his long hair off. The boy's body did have a choppy hair cut. She said her mother made her help her get rid of his body. She said she was eleven when the incident occurred. She said her mother made her stand in front of her car's license plate. To block it from view when a man passing by stopped and asked if they needed help. The mother told the man she didn't need help and he left. M was questioned at her psychiatrist's ofice by police. She had previously relayed the story to her doctor but did not come forward at that time. There was a male witness that gave confidential information that matched M's story. Police questioned neighbors of M that had been in the house and the witnesses said they saw no child there. I've never found out if police tried to search the house where M lived at the time. M had said there was a drain and a coal bin in the basement. M claimed she had been horribly abused and she thought her mother bought the boy to do the same to him.

The box was a bassinet box from Penney's. The dates the bassinet was manufactured and sold have been released. A man's blue cap, a child's scarf, a white handkerchief with the initial G were found next to the box. The flyer sited that the blanket was cheap cotton. The blanket the child was wrapped in remained in police custody. The child died of blunt force trauma. The flyer stated that the death was caused by a head injury. The flyer also stated that his nails were neatly clipped. These details were published in news reports and flyers and news reports had photos of th cap, the blanket and other evidence. I didn't think posters here would want to see this, so I left it out. The flyer and photos of the child's injuries including heavily bruised legs are available on Google Images. Hundreds of thousands of the original flyer were passed out and were also included in all the gas bills in Philadelphia. Other information about the case on The Doe Network says that the scarf was tan and that a child's yellow flannel shirt in the boy's size was found at the scene. The Network also says where the man's cap was made. The owner of the store where the cap came from recalled the purchaser and said he did not speak with an accent. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

I am from Philly & am very familiar w/this case. 

PERSONAL OPINION

I'm sorry but since this is a HOMICIDE cold case, the boy's parents & siblings names should be revealed, living or dead!

icon_coffee.gif

@Mz iMac   Since little Joseph has now been identified, it would follow that those who knew this child would know the names of the parents and siblings.

I am not about to throw the siblings under the bus just yet-we do not even know if the siblings were born before or after Joseph's death.  They may or may not have any info to share.

I think it is only fair to keep the siblings out of it for now; people can be vengeful and we just do not know the extent what the siblings knew, if anything.

The parents are a different story but since they are deceased we still have nothing to gain from learning their names-yet.

I thought there was supposed to be an update sometime soon regarding this terrible, tragic, and heart-breaking case.

@Cakers3  @ Mz iMac From some of the evidence and witness testimony in the case it is very possible that the child's biological siblings were unaware of the child or had an awareness of a sibling but were misled or unaware of what happened to him. 

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

What a heartbreaking story. I hate to think about what he must have endured in his short life.

Valued Contributor

This just breaks my heart. How can anyone do this to this child? Abuse was all this innocent child knew. May God bless this precious baby and keep him safe 🙏🏻♥️
Respected Contributor

My head and heart hurts for this little boy who never knew the love and warmth of safety.  

I cannot print here what I think should be done to those responsible.  

May he rest in peace and know that he is not forgotten.   

“If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.”- Jimmy Buffet
Honored Contributor

Heart wrenching...an innocent child brought into this world to suffer.  If the story of M is true, she has also been a victim of this cruelty.  This precious child never knew love or kindness.  There are no words for this despicable action.  Rest in peace sweet child.