Honored Contributor

Re: The birds were making a mess on my deck until we got....

[ Edited ]

@Annabellethecat66, Can you find one of those little perches  that holds an ear of corn?  The squirrels will go eat that.

It's still mostly dark out, but I can hear the birds. Love that sound.  Winter is quiet.  We're closer to two seasons now.  Cold and hot.  Wet and dry.  

Esteemed Contributor

The owl works...but you need to move it around...

Respected Contributor

We have 4 bird feeders, 2 humming bird feeders, a tray for the Cardinals and a tray for the Orriols.  The darn squirrels are like acrobats!  THey  not only climb poles,   they can jump straight up too.  We moved everything so that nothing is near the branch of a tree, bush,  or near outdoor furniture.  That made it way to easy for the squirrels.  Then my husband started putting grease on the poles, which worked for awhile.  We also tried the slinky method, and have hoods on the feeders!   Currenly the grease he is using (I think motor oil) is working.   They are eating the seed that falls to the ground.   We also feed several families of ducks.  There are wetlands in front and back of my house,  so we get ducks every year.  Some of them come back and know exactly where to go to get food.  They love the cracked corn.  We go through huge 40lb bags of corn and seed, and bags of oilers too.  I love watching them all.  I have oranges on my shopping list for the orriols!

Respected Contributor

@Tribesters

In our neighborhood, we had a terrible problem with birds last year, who thought some of the decorative work on our porches made exellent nesting places.

My next door neighbor bought himself a battery-operated owl whose eyes glow and head turns periodically.  At the same time, he bought us a fierce-looking black hawk to guard our porches on a rotating basis.  

He got these birds at Walmart.

No more bird problem this year at his house or ours.  Can't say that for all the neighbors.  

One neighbor bought a small fake snake that he draped over the ledge of his front entry.  That seemed to work for him, too, during the recent nesting season.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tribesters

Consider yourself lucky that your plastic owl worked....a grocery store and other merchants have tried the plastic owls and its not worked at all......One time I saw a bird sitting on top of the plastic owl....

Related image

Image result for bird on top of plastic owl

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

@Tribesters

In our neighborhood, we had a terrible problem with birds last year, who thought some of the decorative work on our porches made exellent nesting places.

My next door neighbor bought himself a battery-operated owl whose eyes glow and head turns periodically.  At the same time, he bought us a fierce-looking black hawk to guard our porches on a rotating basis.  

He got these birds at Walmart.

No more bird problem this year at his house or ours.  Can't say that for all the neighbors.  

One neighbor bought a small fake snake that he draped over the ledge of his front entry.  That seemed to work for him, too, during the recent nesting season.

@novamc1

I bet that fake snake kept people away too... Woman LOL

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

Dodnt work for me.  I have a movable owl that even sqreeches. The darn doves just sit by him to eat.  No fear

the other day the squirrel pushed the owl over, he fell and one of his eyes popped out.  My husband went in the house and got one of the grandkids pirate patches.  We will tey again

OMG..this is so funny!!!!! Smiley LOL

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@Tribesters

Consider yourself lucky that your plastic owl worked....a grocery store and other merchants have tried the plastic owls and its not worked at all......One time I saw a bird sitting on top of the plastic owl....

Related image

OMG..how funny!!!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Honored Contributor

@qualitygal They eat that and go on for the 'good and expensive' stuff!  I'm telling you they are vacuum cleaners!

So, I came home today and noticed that they'd pulled out of the container some flowers I'd not even planted, I just stuck them in the decorative thing that holds the poll light!  They just pulled the thing right out.

There were no nuts in there, (I checked BEFORE I stuck the pot in there), yet they were digging and pushed it right onto the ground!

I have bought bottles and bottles of that hot liquid stuff that is supposed to make them not eat the seeds.

Honored Contributor

we put out some grass seed to fill in a patch in our yard a few years ago; the birds ate it as fast as we could put it out; we bought a plastic owl and hung it in the closest tree.....the birds stayed away and the grass grew! Owls are our friends.....