Honored Contributor

Re: The birds were making a mess on my deck until we got....

I refer to squirrels as rats with bushy tails....I can't stand them; they are so brazen and fearless they have destroyed three expensive "squirrel-proof" birdfeeders, gnawed the corner off my deckbox, among other things. They keep the birds from getting any of the birdseed...but the bluejays are unimpressed and will chase them off...we can't even eat on our patio now. the squirrels will hop up on the table waiting for their plate; short of a bb gun, I don't know how to get rid of them.....I did find that putting some rocks on top of the soil in your pots keeps them from digging all the soil out.

Esteemed Contributor

I have had problems with crows pooping on the deck, stairs, and stair railings as they sit on the roof peak and then take a dump. So I got rid of the backyard birdbath as that was attracting them to my yard. The crows make a mess by dropping stale bread in the birdbath water and then retrieving it later on. My dog isn't bothered by crows but lately she will not let crows land in the yard or birdbath either. She would chase them off if she was outside in the backyard.

Respected Contributor

If the owl stops working dig up some old audio CDs and hang them around the area where you want to discourage birds from congregating.  The CDs move around even when there’s not much of a breeze and they reflect light, too.  This scares birds away.  

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@Tribesters

Consider yourself lucky that your plastic owl worked....a grocery store and other merchants have tried the plastic owls and its not worked at all......One time I saw a bird sitting on top of the plastic owl....

Related image

Image result for bird on top of plastic owl

Image result for bird on top of plastic owl

This is so laugh out loud hilarious. I know it's true which is why it's so funny. 

Honored Contributor

I use tin foil on my blueberry bushes.I make large bow type pieces and wrap around the branches...three years in a row and birds have stayed away.

Respected Contributor

@Kalli

My next-door neighbor tried suspending shiny CDs  from the ledge above his back entrance.  Didn't bother the birds one bit.  No fear. 

His battery-operated  owl did seem to work

Another neighbor installed a row of spikes on the ledge above his door which are  made to deter bird nesting.  The spikes did not work the next year,  because a different type of bird found the spikes a nice sturdy place to make a nest and raise babies, so the folks  had to live through another  bird nesting/birthing cycle with a poopy porch floor.

My solution for my front entry area  was to make square-shaped blocks out of heavy-duty foil and stuff them in two niches that birds love most about my house.

After getting tired of sweeping out the beginnings of nests  and shooing the birds away with a broom before they got finished last spring, I stuffed the foil blocks up there and the foil has stayed there ever since.  

They don't show from the street, so no one really notices them as an eyesore, and there is no room for a bird to make a nest.  Meanwhile, my hawk stands guard on my back porch, and I haven't had a bird problem this year, thank goodness.

Respected Contributor

Read recently about an interesting use for the lubricant WD-40.  Supposedly, it makes squirrels slide off of bird feeders.  

I spent a lot of time years ago,  trying to battle squirrels robbing my bird-feeders, and gave up. 

One style of feeder I had  back then might have been appropriate for trying out WD-40