Honored Contributor

Re: The bill for my hospital stay only

I am addition to this, my bill is actually $200 before Medicare, I received a second bill for the first day only in addition to the approx 57,000 there is another 8,000 for the first day

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2  If you are on Medicare and a Supplement, your cataract surgery will be covered. Both of mine were covered completely PLUS the first pair of new glasses following the first cataract procedure. I have BC-BS as my supplement. Best wishes.  

Also, have never paid a cent for the year of medical expenses for my compound fractured back and fractured knee in 2019. This year, I had retina surgery. Again, my insurance and supplement picked up 100% of the costs associated with the surgery.

Check out your insurance! If it's not good enough, change it next fall. It's worth the extra monthly expense when talking about high medical bills.

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady 

I think you might be on the wrong thread

@BirkiLady wrote:

@Jordan2  If you are on Medicare and a Supplement, your cataract surgery will be covered. Both of mine were covered completely PLUS the first pair of new glasses following the first cataract procedure. I have BC-BS as my supplement. Best wishes.  

Also, have never paid a cent for the year of medical expenses for my compound fractured back and fractured knee in 2019. This year, I had retina surgery. Again, my insurance and supplement picked up 100% of the costs associated with the surgery.

Check out your insurance! If it's not good enough, change it next fall. It's worth the extra monthly expense when talking about high medical bills.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

@I am still oxox  Nope. I was responding to Jordan, who will understand. 

Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@I am still oxox  Nope. I was responding to Jordan, who will understand. 

@BirkiLady I don't have Medicare, I have Oscar insurance, I get it from the New York State Health Exchange.

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

@I am still oxox wrote:

My insurance was billed $62,734.49 for my eight nights in the hospital, my insurance paid $43,949.18, I am responsible for 0. This does not include bills for individual doctors visit and $200 for the ER 

Lucky you. I have a high deductible and high out of pocket expenses. I have health insurance ( I pay for it myself Affordable Care Act plan), I can't afford to use it.

You mean Obama's Affordable Insurance???? Are u saying it's NOT affordable???

Esteemed Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@I am still oxox Lucky you have decent insurance!  I'm on regular Medicare now and I think most would be covered along with my supplemental.  Before I turned 65 I had an ACA (unaffordable & expensive plan) that covered very little!

It is unbelievable what they charge!...as you mentioned, that's only for the hospital and I bet you had crappy processed institutional food.

I live in California and I'm on Medicare.I had SCAN for over 12 years - until my last hospital stay, I was charged way too much. I then found out that SCAN is NOT an insurance co., but an administrator of Medicare. I found an insurance agent (thru my doctor) who can put people into many other plans - and I chose Central Health -- and I'm not paying that SCAN monthly fee of $39 - and I don't have to pay the $10. copay whenever I go to a doctor. SCAN is a SCAM.

Esteemed Contributor

@Born2type wrote:

Wow, you have really good insurance.  Isn't it sad though that most Americans are scared to get sick?  At any time, many of us could get cancer or have to have major surgery and it could financially put us in the hole.  I recently had hernia repair and in between CT scans and other tests and then the surgery, it was about $30,000.00 total and I have to pay about $4000.00 of it unfortunately, but still feel fortunate that they paid that much!  Fortunately, the hospital has a good payment plan.  

I love ur screen name. That would also describe me.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2  Ahhh, you are too young for Medicare. No wonder it's so expensive to be sick or for surgery. I'm so sorry for your medical bills. Hopefully, they will be able to be paid in installments. Or, do hospitals ever write them off for those who truly cannot afford such costly, but necessary procedures?

I'm sure our country is going to face this crisis a lot with the current world-wide virus, which no one will be able to afford in the US. The guy in the WH certainly left us unprepared for such a massive pandemic. We don't even have enough masks, hospital beds, etc., for 10% of anticipated patients. This is the most frightening time in my 72 years.

Other countries were prepared and are already seeing the curve decline!    

Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@Jordan2  Ahhh, you are too young for Medicare. No wonder it's so expensive to be sick or for surgery. I'm so sorry for your medical bills. Hopefully, they will be able to be paid in installments. Or, do hospitals ever write them off for those who truly cannot afford such costly, but necessary procedures?

I'm sure our country is going to face this crisis a lot with the current world-wide virus, which no one will be able to afford in the US. The guy in the WH certainly left us unprepared for such a massive pandemic. We don't even have enough masks, hospital beds, etc., for 10% of anticipated patients. This is the most frightening time in my 72 years.

Other countries were prepared and are already seeing the curve decline!    

@BirkiLady  I’ll pay what I can each month, that will have to be good enough.