Honored Contributor

The bill for my hospital stay only

My insurance was billed $62,734.49 for my eight nights in the hospital, my insurance paid $43,949.18, I am responsible for 0. This does not include bills for individual doctors visit and $200 for the ER 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

Re: The bill for my hospital stay only

[ Edited ]

You have good insurance coverage.

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

My insurance was billed $62,734.49 for my eight nights in the hospital, my insurance paid $43,949.18, I am responsible for 0. This does not include bills for individual doctors visit and $200 for the ER 

Lucky you. I have a high deductible and high out of pocket expenses. I have health insurance ( I pay for it myself Affordable Care Act plan), I can't afford to use it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@I am still oxox Lucky you have decent insurance!  I'm on regular Medicare now and I think most would be covered along with my supplemental.  Before I turned 65 I had an ACA (unaffordable & expensive plan) that covered very little!

It is unbelievable what they charge!...as you mentioned, that's only for the hospital and I bet you had crappy processed institutional food.

Valued Contributor

I am getting a knee replacement surgery next week, they called me today to tell me what the bill for the hospital will be and it is $36,000, all I am asked to pay is $295, now not sure what the doctor or anesthesiologist will be. I have recently retired from my job and I have great benefits but I would be paying a lot more than what I am even paying now so I am pleased

Contributor

Wow, you have really good insurance.  Isn't it sad though that most Americans are scared to get sick?  At any time, many of us could get cancer or have to have major surgery and it could financially put us in the hole.  I recently had hernia repair and in between CT scans and other tests and then the surgery, it was about $30,000.00 total and I have to pay about $4000.00 of it unfortunately, but still feel fortunate that they paid that much!  Fortunately, the hospital has a good payment plan.  

Honored Contributor

@Born2type wrote:

Wow, you have really good insurance.  Isn't it sad though that most Americans are scared to get sick?  At any time, many of us could get cancer or have to have major surgery and it could financially put us in the hole.  I recently had hernia repair and in between CT scans and other tests and then the surgery, it was about $30,000.00 total and I have to pay about $4000.00 of it unfortunately, but still feel fortunate that they paid that much!  Fortunately, the hospital has a good payment plan.  

I'm having cataract surgery, I had to go to a new ophthalmologist at what I call a factory. They have their own facility where I will have my procedure. I will be covered to have it there, but I'm sure with my high deductible and out of pocket expenses I will be paying quite a bit. I hope they let me pay it out over time, I can't afford to pay thousands in one lump sum.

Esteemed Contributor

@KACEE1115 wrote:

I am getting a knee replacement surgery next week, they called me today to tell me what the bill for the hospital will be and it is $36,000, all I am asked to pay is $295, now not sure what the doctor or anesthesiologist will be. I have recently retired from my job and I have great benefits but I would be paying a lot more than what I am even paying now so I am pleased

When I had mine done in 2017 the total of all my bills was around $76,000. I only paid my deductible. 

Respected Contributor

DH & I have just gone on Medicare and luckily we get to keep the health insurance he had with his job when he retired and it automatically becomes our secondary or supplemental policy and it's good insurance and feel very grateful that we can afford the premiums since all totaled medicare premiums, supplemental premiums and extra dental insurance we're now paying $800/month.  

Honored Contributor

@Hayfield 

Same thing will happen in May when Dh retires, he will be able to keep the insurance we have no as secondary. It will cost us about $700 per month, which includes prescriptions and dental

@Hayfield wrote:

DH & I have just gone on Medicare and luckily we get to keep the health insurance he had with his job when he retired and it automatically becomes our secondary or supplemental policy and it's good insurance and feel very grateful that we can afford the premiums since all totaled medicare premiums, supplemental premiums and extra dental insurance we're now paying $800/month.  

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.