Honored Contributor

Re: The big top comes down: Ringling Bros. circus is closing

Obivously, this is good news.  I wish that circuses that use animals, rodeos, and animal racing were all against the law.  These industries are rife with animal cruelty.  The humans have the choice.  The animals don't.  It is very, very wrong.

Esteemed Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

I agree with those who feel that animals should not be a part of circus performances and that circuses could exist successfully without animals if they wanted to do so.

I also want to give a shoutout to a wonderful organization in Tennessee, one which is dedicated to providing a safe, loving habitat for those beautiful animals who can't really "go home" but who have been rescued from or retired by zoos, circuses:

Read about them! link: http://www.elephants.com/index.php

or search for "The Elephant Sanctuary."

http://www.lifewithdogs.tv/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/039.jpg

I like to donate to this rescue:

BigCatRescueWebsiteHeader6.jpg

https://bigcatrescue.org/

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Annabellethecat wrote:

My daughter used to work for Big Apple Circus.  I visited her office once.  It had huge statues (that looked live) of clowns and she actually worked in a 3 ring atmosphere!  It was colorful and beautiful!

The Big Apple isn't much like a circus people think of.  It's more like Cirque du Solell.  It has acrobats, clowns, people doing magic tricks, things like that.

Way more fun than a real circus.

http://dctheatrescene.com/2011/09/29/dream-big-the-big-apple-circus/

I recommend it if you want to take your young (not infants) to a fun time where something is always going on!

@Annabellethecat66, The Big Apple Circus closed.  Too many financial problems.   I was a fan, after seeing the wonderful documentary, "Circus."   Very sad to see they weren't able to continue with their tradition... but they, too, used animal acts. 

(To add:   the PBS "Circus" series is often available, free, online.)

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

They did but not much.  They were mostly about keeping it fast moving.

I texted my daughter just now (she's skiing in Colorado) and she said, "Mom!  I told you that".  I guess I forgot, nothing new!  Ha!

She left there and went to work for the Sept 11th Fund.  She's had some amazing jobs.  Now she gets to work from home at least 3 days a week, more if she wants to.  The kid lives large!  Ha!

Honored Contributor

I hate clowns

went once as  a kid and didn't like it,

Respected Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

@Big Joanie wrote:

i don't like Zoos or the Circus... wish wild animals from other continents had

never been brought here in the first place ...

Ditto this. 

If one wants to see the wild animals, go and visit that continent/place.

The animals on those continents may very well be extinct if not part of zoo breeding programs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's a bandaid approach to the bigger problem.

Poaching, loss of natural habitat. climate change and trophy hunting.

Fix the problems.

Contrary to what some believe, you cannot control the world.  Have to do what you can.

@CrazyDaisy@mstyrion 1

You are right Crazy Daisy.....many of the countries where these animals reside have corrupt governments which could care less about the animals....and not much of a priority when people live in poverty....

"fix the problem" easier said than done---MSTYRION!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THANK YOU FOR SHOUTING THE OBVIOUS---spurt!

~Enough is enough~
Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

From PETA's own website:

We at PETA very much love the animal companions who share our homes, but we believe that it would have been in the animals’ best interests if the institution of “pet keeping”—i.e., breeding animals to be kept and regarded as “pets”—never existed. The international pastime of domesticating animals has created an overpopulation crisis; as a result, millions of unwanted animals are destroyed every year as “surplus.”

This selfish desire to possess animals and receive love from them causes immeasurable suffering, which results from manipulating their breeding, selling or giving them away casually, and depriving them of the opportunity to engage in their natural behavior. They are restricted to human homes, where they must obey commands and can only eat, drink, and even urinate when humans allow them to.

Because domesticated animals retain many of their basic instincts and drives but are not able to survive on their own in the wild, dogs, cats, or birds, whose strongest desire is to be free, must be confined to houses, yards, or cages for their own safety.

This is a best-case scenario. Millions of dogs spend their lives outdoors on heavy chains in all weather extremes or are kept locked up in tiny chain-link pens from which they can only watch the world go by. Millions more are confined to filthy wire cages in puppy mills, forced to churn out litter after litter until they wear out, at which time they are killed or dumped at the local animal shelter. Even in “good” homes, cats must relieve themselves in dirty litterboxes and often have the tips of their toes amputated through declawing. Dogs often have to drink water that has been sitting around for days, are hurried along on their walks, if they even get walked, and are yelled at to get off the furniture or be quiet.

Most compassionate people never imagine that anyone could throw a litter of kittens out the window of a moving car, and they would certainly be shocked by PETA’s inches-thick files on cases of dogs and cats who have been shot with arrows, blown up with firecrackers, doused in gasoline and set on fire, cooked in microwave ovens, used as bait in dogfights, tortured in satanic rituals, beaten with baseball bats by bored kids, dragged behind cars to “teach them a lesson” for running away, or bound in duct tape to silence their barking. Abuses such as these occur every day.

Contrary to myth, PETA does not want to confiscate animals who are well cared for and “set them free.” What we want is for the population of dogs and cats to be reduced through spaying and neutering and for people to adopt animals (preferably two so that they can keep each other company when their human companions aren’t home) from pounds or animal shelters—never from pet shops or breeders—thereby reducing suffering in the world.

Thanks for that article @Plaid Pants2

The following two paragraphs seem to contradict each other, although I do understand their issues with breeders. But complaining about them being restricted to home?  Most dogs are not, and most cats would not survive outside the home in many areas.

We at PETA very much love the animal companions who share our homes, but we believe that it would have been in the animals’ best interests if the institution of “pet keeping”—i.e., breeding animals to be kept and regarded as “pets”—never existed. The international pastime of domesticating animals has created an overpopulation crisis; as a result, millions of unwanted animals are destroyed every year as “surplus.”

This selfish desire to possess animals and receive love from them causes immeasurable suffering, which results from manipulating their breeding, selling or giving them away casually, and depriving them of the opportunity to engage in their natural behavior. They are restricted to human homes, where they must obey commands and can only eat, drink, and even urinate when humans allow them to.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7  Just one of the reasons many of us no longer pay attention to anything PETA has to say....

Honored Contributor

@MalteseMomma wrote:

@Nicknack wrote:

@MalteseMomma wrote:

Plus ,now these poor Elephants will be used in Cancer  RESEARCH   Smiley Sad

This is sooooo sad ! They have paid enough they should have been able to live on in  Freedom and  Peace!

According to http://time.com/4177844/elephants-retire-circus-sanctuary/ the elephants will retire to a  200-acre ranch.

@NickNack  Sadly that is not true.It may be a ranch but it is an experimental ranch Smiley Sad

@MalteseMomma  After a Google search I found one website saying they would take bloodwork from the elephants for cancer research.  All other websites said they were retiring to the ranch.  I hope it isn't an experimental ranch.  I feel like there would be outrage if it were.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@Noel7  Just one of the reasons many of us no longer pay attention to anything PETA has to say....

I can see why @SahmIam

Their comments are kind of nuts.  How does the human restrict a cat with a litter box from urinating when they want?