Esteemed Contributor

Re: The big top comes down: Ringling Bros. circus is closing

I've been to the circus many times & loved it.I have many great memories of going as a child & of taking my son.I'm sorry to see it go!! Any issues concerning the treatment of the animals could have been handled better & not exploited.As a result we lose yet another American tradition!!

Just my opinion.

Esteemed Contributor

@NicksmomESQ

I think this   "American Tradition"  began when people were ignorant of animal cruelty!

It no longer belongs in an age where we know better than to exploit Gods creatures for  human  pleasure!

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

I've been to the circus many times & loved it.I have many great memories of going as a child & of taking my son.I'm sorry to see it go!! Any issues concerning the treatment of the animals could have been handled better & not exploited.As a result we lose yet another American tradition!!

Just my opinion.

Super Contributor

Absolutely... we now know better...and should do better....

Super Contributor

I believe a lot of people will be happy about this...

Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

Just my opinion.

Many "AMERICAN TRADITIONS"  are just bad mistakes that we contiune to make  and we call  them traditions.  I will not go into the many of them as it would close down this thread.......

Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ I think that tradition would not make it another generation.I took my son to the circus that I loved as a child and he was bored.I don't remember any of his friends going.I never gave it much thought but I have to wonder if it isn't too low tec to entertain the highly stimulated young children of today.

Esteemed Contributor

@MalteseMomma wrote:

@NicksmomESQ

I think this   "American Tradition"  began when people were ignorant of animal cruelty!

It no longer belongs in an age where we know better than to exploit Gods creatures for  human  pleasure!

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

Just my opinion.

PETA holds the same attitudes of companion pets as many here do of the circus or zoos.  Wonder if that will be another tradition to go by the wayside.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

@Big Joanie wrote:

i don't like Zoos or the Circus... wish wild animals from other continents had

never been brought here in the first place ...

Ditto this. 

If one wants to see the wild animals, go and visit that continent/place.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Esteemed Contributor

Gee @CrazyDaisy 

I do not know much about PETA  but I do know cruelty when I see it!!  

If a companion animal is being abused then it too should be removed!  imo

Honored Contributor

The circus employed hundreds of people who weren't involved with the animals who will now find themselves all out of work also. The performers, stage hands, drivers, riggers, publicists, and more will all lose their jobs. It's not just about the animals. The human cost will be quite large. 

Whenever a business is demonized as the circus has been, it's nearly impossible for them to fight back and stay in business. Were the animals exploited? Sure. So are the chickens that lay the eggs you eat for breakfast, the pig that became the sausage or bacon you ate, the cow that gave you the milk you drink. Animals get exploited. Heck, people get exploited too.

These national campaigns that get launched these days to destroy a business are getting a tad out of hand. If you tell some people you went to the circus and had a good time they act llike you went to a KKK rally. They're shocked and appalled at your insensitivity.  "If you knew what really went on, you'd never go to another circus!"

What really went on were hundreds of people had jobs, Tens of thousands, if not millions of people had an entertaining night out and created fond memories. Lots of money went into the economy on concession sales.

"But they exploited the animals!" Truth be told many of those animals would not be alive if there had been no circus. They were bred to be a part of the circus. It's not like they're out rounding up wild elephants to use in the circus. The animals used in circuses are almost always captive bred. With no market for them in the circus or zoos the animals would not be bred at all. The breeding stock would not be kept alive if there's no market for their offspring.  There's no reason to feed a  group of elephants and waste the land on them if their offspring have no market for the breeders. The breeding stock would be killed so they no longer need to be fed or housed. If you shut down the zoos, circuses and everything that exploits animals, all you'll achieve is the death of thousands of animals.

"It's better to be dead than a lifetime of exploitation!" I'm not so sure the animals would agree with that, but if that's what you believe then so be it.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!