Esteemed Contributor

Re: The big top comes down: Ringling Bros. circus is closing

Plaid Pants2 wrote:

The elephants will be getting routine veterinary check-up to monitor their health.

And as a part of making sure that they are healthy, their blood will be drawn, just like your vet might take some blood to make sure that your pet is healthy.

So, if all they do is take a blood sample to take back to the lab and test for cancer research, then no harm is done to the elephants.

@Plaid Pants2...

I found this recent article and the fourth paragraph is especially troubling to me.

This Is What Happens to Elephants After They Retire | TIMEhttp://time.com/4177844/elephants-retire-circus-sanctuary/Jan 12, 2016 ... The Ringling Bros. elephants will go to a 200-acre ranch. ... to at least nine elephants, as well as other circus animals such as tigers and bears.

Plaid Pants2 wrote:

Yeah, that's awful that the animals are going to be retired to a 200 acre ranch. 

What were they thinking giving animals the room to roam and free from performing tricks?

@Plaid Pants2...Did you read the entire article?...You must have missed the fourth paragraph which I was referring to...I have posted it below...

"Keeping the elephants happy and healthy isn’t pure altruism, though. Ringling continues to breed additional elephants at the conservation center, according to National Geographic, and has plans to eventually put them on public display at a tourist destination. The company also continues to use bull hooks, controversial instruments that can be used to prod or control the animals but may cause pain. The creatures are also being studied as part of cancer research because they develop cancer at much lower rates than humans."

I am not arguing here...just having a discussion and pointing out information about the ranch and conservation center owned by Ringling Bros.

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~