Honored Contributor

Re: The World's Hottest Shopping City is Becoming a Ghost Town

@Carol Diane wrote:

I was shopping on 5th Ave in NYC  2 weeks ago on a Saturday. The streets and stores were crowded with people, especially tourists, carrying armloads of bags.  I do more and more shopping online but plenty of people go to the city to shop, eat,  go to a museum, concert or Broadway play.  It certainly wasn't empty to say the least. There's nothing like shopping in NYC.

There's nothing like shopping in NYC and as far as the decline of shopping along Broadway, I never considered that area a big shopping destination... That said, I believe there used to be quite a few mom and pop operations in that area and from what I read, while mom and pop stores are still big in Europe, they're dropping like flies in the states... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

There's a new Nordstrom being built in Manhattan?  Either that's a big risk, or Nordstrom decided it would be a good deal.  Rag & Bone has a NYC flag ship store there that is thriving and a brand new Men's Rag & Bone has just opened on M Street.   So some stores are doing well and continue to build them.  Amazon is building brick & morter stores too.  They're some companies that will continue to survive as stores.

Trusted Contributor

Am I the only one who used to go the mall all the time and now only goes once every couple months, and that's to visit just one specific store?

Esteemed Contributor

I am from NJ and worked almost my entire career In NYC; No place is like NYC for shopping....maybe the big departments stores have no appeal like Macy's, L&T or Saks.....but loyal customers still flock to places like Barneys & Bergdorf which specialize & cater to a different customer....demographics have changed and many people just don't want cookie cutter clothes....many shop in small boutiques on Madison, So Ho and Chelsea is alive and well; I've always felt that NYC shopping was better below the Flat Iron Building for a long time. Nordstrom holds no appeal for me as I am older now but I see young Korean designers trending at Nordstrom and they are targeting an entirely different demographic today. They will do quite well because customer service is still superb and for a young successful busy client that's important and their personal shopping service will be utilized in NYC and is probably the best in the biz. Shopping has just changed in the City to meet the times. I personally hate Malls and we have our share in NJ. But, if I want or need something special, I have and always will find it in NYC. It will never be a "ghost town"