Honored Contributor

Re: The World's Hottest Shopping City is Becoming a Ghost Town

Same thing has happened to pay phones

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Time doesn't flow backwards and no one can un-ring a bell.  Shopping has changed and that's just the way it is.  The future is online and electronic shopping and smart retailers who want to succeed are putting their money and assets there.  Consumers don't want to spend their time walking up down the streets and malls shopping for a limited selection in multiple stores.  They want the world at their finger tips and they want to buy something with few clicks and have it delivered to them in less than a week.  They want their time!  Instead of spending an afternoon shopping or tees and shorts and sneakers for the kids.  They want to do it online in 20 minutes and spend those hours actually enjoying and having fun with those kids.  Yes, sure.  Empty storefronts aren't attractive but it's silly to think that mayor of NYC can turn back the hands of time and turn shopping into the experience it was 40 years ago.

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

I didn't read the whole article but having lived most of my life in NYC it wouldn't surprise me that retail is going downhill, empty storefronts, etc.  I would expect some developer too swoop in and put up a 100 story office building/condo or some such.  NYC is always evolving.  That part of the city and indeed the whole city is far from becoming a "ghost town."

NYC is just fine.  What you describe is the future and NYC is thriving.  It's just that nothing stays the same forever.  People don't go to NYC specifically to shop anymore because in this day and age; at every price point;  we can all find everything we want in our own cities and towns and if we can't find it in the stores.....we can find it online.  People go to NYC now for the theatre, for the restaurants, to sight see, to visit art galleries,  to stand outside the Today Show windows and wave like dweebs.  They don't go to buy those Jimmy Choo pumps they always wanted because they can buy them online....and wear them in NYC when they check out those trendy new bars and restaurants.  

Super Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

It's sad, but not surprising.  "Main Streets" all over have been under seige for decades in little town first as Walmarts and other large chains began building on cheaper land surrounding those towns.  Add the TV and Internet shopping of the last 2 decades and ---  voile, a whole new retail ex[erience.

Just this morning in my local paper (yep- dinosaur here who still loves print) there was an article in the local business section directly related to this topic.  For years and years on a section of Clematis Street in West Palm Beach, only retail and restaurants were welcome.  As retail changed, building owners couldn't find tenants; the article highlighted one whose building has been empty for 2 years. 

Finally there is a movement to allow such owners to lease space to banks and offices.  Seems that empty storefronts are even more ugly than a bank!   About time to move into the "new" century!

NYC's changing face is happening all over.  I know some of it began in my hometown central PA -  in the 1960's.  The necessities are there, but real shopping beyond that starts miles away.

@millieshops  Wow.  I grew up in Broward County and used to go to Palm Beach & WPB with girlfriends YEARS ago.  Clematis street was a fun place to shop 

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@kaydee50 wrote:

I didn't read the whole article but having lived most of my life in NYC it wouldn't surprise me that retail is going downhill, empty storefronts, etc.  I would expect some developer too swoop in and put up a 100 story office building/condo or some such.  NYC is always evolving.  That part of the city and indeed the whole city is far from becoming a "ghost town."

NYC is just fine.  What you describe is the future and NYC is thriving.  It's just that nothing stays the same forever.  People don't go to NYC specifically to shop anymore because in this day and age; at every price point;  we can all find everything we want in our own cities and towns and if we can't find it in the stores.....we can find it online.  People go to NYC now for the theatre, for the restaurants, to sight see, to visit art galleries,  to stand outside the Today Show windows and wave like dweebs.  They don't go to buy those Jimmy Choo pumps they always wanted because they can buy them online....and wear them in NYC when they check out those trendy new bars and restaurants.  

Hmm.    Gee, I must be in the minority here.   

Even years ago, i've never found NYC to be a "hot shopping city".    Any time I've shopped there while doing other things, I couldn't wait for it to be over!    Too crowded and too much hassle!     

Respected Contributor

When was Broadway ever a shopping mecca?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@handygal2

One of the favorite childhood memories.  My parents would let us take 1/2 day at school & We'd ride the afternoon train, go to Radio City to see the Christmas show, to early dinner and then walking around to the department stores "windows" and then to see Santa at Macys.

My relative told me most stores aren't doing this anymore-

so sad.

Valued Contributor

I think crime is a big factor also.

Honored Contributor

@physicsnut wrote:

I think crime is a big factor also.

Not in that neighborhood!

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Respected Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

@handygal2

One of the favorite childhood memories.  My parents would let us take 1/2 day at school & We'd ride the afternoon train, go to Radio City to see the Christmas show, to early dinner and then walking around to the department stores "windows" and then to see Santa at Macys.

My relative told me most stores aren't doing this anymore-

so sad.

@homedecor1

The department stores still do over the top holiday windows.  There is almost always a line at Saks, Lord & Taylor and Macy's.  In recent years they are a bit more gaudy. (IMO)