Honored Contributor

The Wild and Wooly Pony Express

Unbeleivably, the actual Pony Express lasted only about 19 months.  It started in 1860 to speed up mail delivery between the rest of the Eastern United States, to the end of the Wild West, at the Pacific.  It ended partly because telegraph capability was finally extended to the far West.

A few ingenious men set up a pony express system that had a series of about 100 stations, spanning the whole area between Missouri and California.  Riders would gallop in relays, getting fresh horses at each station.  There were about 80 riders in all, making 50 dollars a month, which was good wages then.  Mali could now be delivered from Missouri to California in about 10 to 13 days, which was unheard of.

Most riders were slim and lightweight, much like jockeys are today.  They and their enterprise were painted by Remington, and written about by Mark Twain, which is partly why they figure so largely in our American imagination, I guess.  It was all so adventurous!

After the whole thing was over, and the Express riders were interviewed at the end of their lives, they complained hardly at all about the dangers they faced as they crossed the West.  They grumbled about the weather!  Which makes sense as they could be out in the freezing high plains and mountain passes....

It's a fascinating story of our developmental past, one which HistoryNet rightly calls "madcap".

Honored Contributor

Re: The Wild and Wooly Pony Express

I wonder if they ever holed up in Hodgkins, Illinois 😏 

Honored Contributor

Re: The Wild and Wooly Pony Expressm

[ Edited ]

20170926_110527.png

Sacramento State Historical Park

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

Re: The Wild and Wooly Pony Expressm

Love it! I have seen that many times. 

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Unbeleivably, the actual Pony Express lasted only about 19 months.  It started in 1860 to speed up mail delivery between the rest of the Eastern United States, to the end of the Wild West, at the Pacific.  It ended partly because telegraph capability was finally extended to the far West.

A few ingenious men set up a pony express system that had a series of about 100 stations, spanning the whole area between Missouri and California.  Riders would gallop in relays, getting fresh horses at each station.  There were about 80 riders in all, making 50 dollars a month, which was good wages then.  Mali could now be delivered from Missouri to California in about 10 to 13 days, which was unheard of.

Most riders were slim and lightweight, much like jockeys are today.  They and their enterprise were painted by Remington, and written about by Mark Twain, which is partly why they figure so largely in our American imagination, I guess.  It was all so adventurous!

After the whole thing was over, and the Express riders were interviewed at the end of their lives, they complained hardly at all about the dangers they faced as they crossed the West.  They grumbled about the weather!  Which makes sense as they could be out in the freezing high plains and mountain passes....

It's a fascinating story of our developmental past, one which HistoryNet rightly calls "madcap".

Are you a history teacher?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

I feel more for the poor horses who did the actual hardship.

Honored Contributor

Oh, no, goldensrbest.  In fact, history, esp. American history, is one of my weaker subjects.  For some reason, I loved geography and maps, but the specifics of what exactly happened when, often eluded me.

Now, I really like it, and realize the value of it.