Contributor

Re: The Whole Family is Nuts!

I wonder how this family likes having a "live" girl who can't talk, walk, eat, or even breathe on her own? I can't imagine it makes them feel all warm and fuzzy inside. How long will it take for them to finally face reality for crying out loud?

Honored Contributor

Maybe not "nuts", but how about...self-centered or acting God-Like? I just can't believe anyone could be that stupid....but trying to do God's work, well, let's just say that never ends well.

Honored Contributor

On 3/16/2014 sidsmom said:

Maybe not "nuts", but how about...self-centered or acting God-Like? I just can't believe anyone could be that stupid....but trying to do God's work, well, let's just say that never ends well.

There is something I don't understand...

The people of faith who believe they are saved and will be going home to God and the afterlife...are often the same people hanging on to the tiniest shred of life...no matter how painful or expensive or how much it prolongs the inevitable.

McMath, Schiavo, Baby Joseph, the TX state who wouldn't disconnect the brain dead pregnant woman...

All seem to want to hang on to life way past the point where it is enjoyable or meaningful...or where people are even conscious.

I would think they would look forward to being reunited with God.

Contributor

Everybody wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die to get there.

Honored Contributor

On 3/16/2014 terrier3 said:

There is something I don't understand...

The people of faith who believe they are saved and will be going home to God and the afterlife...are often the same people hanging on to the tiniest shred of life...no matter how painful or expensive or how much it prolongs the inevitable.

McMath, Schiavo, Baby Joseph, the TX state who wouldn't disconnect the brain dead pregnant woman...

All seem to want to hang on to life way past the point where it is enjoyable or meaningful...or where people are even conscious.

I would think they would look forward to being reunited with God.

Very true...plus those folks are basically saying, "God, you're doing it wrong, MY way is correct". How arrogant is that? Yes, I know there's a wide berth of grey area w/ God's Will vs Man Made Miracles, but death is just that....death. God took the life of Jahi. No living person has the right to monkey with that...morally or ethically.

Super Contributor

I don't think this family's behavior is any different from many families who just can't bring themselves to let go. They may even imagine that the victim is looking at them, etc. Remember the Terri Shiavo case. She was kept on life support for years, the family taking her husband to court. They claimed that she was communicating with them and was making eye contact, etc. After she died, the autopsy not only showed total brain death, atrophy of everything in her body, but also showed she was blind and probably deaf. I view the family's desperation as an outpouring of extreme grief and grasping at any straw of hope that the inevitable can be reversed. It's just sad from every angle.

Honored Contributor

ITA with your interesting "take" on this situation...

Honored Contributor

The whole ""I Am Second"" & WWJD religious campaigns are lost on Jahi's family. And can't bring themselves to let go? I just can't phantom any one being that ignorant (read: fancy word for stupid).

Super Contributor

The whole "I Am Second" & WWJD religious campaigns are lost on Jahi's family. And can't bring themselves to let go? I just can't phantom any one being that ignorant (read: fancy word for stupid).

Has nothing to do with ignorance. It's all tied into emotions, which aren't always rational.

Honored Contributor

On 3/16/2014 RainCityGirl said:

The whole "I Am Second" & WWJD religious campaigns are lost on Jahi's family. And can't bring themselves to let go? I just can't phantom any one being that ignorant (read: fancy word for stupid).

Has nothing to do with ignorance. It's all tied into emotions, which aren't always rational.

...and a crazy judge who coddled them.

In every case I have ever heard of personally, the doctors come in, tell the family they are sorry - their loved one's brain has stopped functioning - and they say goodbye and turn off the machines.

The families grieve and life goes on.

This tragedy would have ended months ago if the judge had shown a little backbone.