Esteemed Contributor

The US Census Bureau and You......

I got some sort of letter in the mail about three weeks ago.  Letter was not addressed to me; but to someone else but with my address.  I set the letter back outside for the mail carrier to return to sender.  Within days I received another notice; this time with a different brown envelope (that looks like it comes from the government).  Since the letter did not have my name on it; again I set it outside for the US mail to return to sender.  It was official business from the US Census Bureau.  How could I have known this unless I bothered to check into it?  I believe I just solved much of my unwanted calls from people in states I don't know anyone or conduct business in.

Today, a call came in saying it was from the US Census Bureau and to call them back and reference the case number number assigned.  They left a voice mail message.  I was like; yeah right....I won't be calling you.  Someone is really serious about this scam ******.  The US Census Bureau sends people to your home for the purpose of completing the Census.  Better yet, in the past I've received a questionnaire as well.  I don't believe it and you won't "get me."  LOL.  Then it occurred to me to go to their website (to report the harassment and/or fraudulent activity).  There I found information to verify the veracity of these communications.

It was indeed the US Census Bureau.  From what I'm reading you can't dodge them or the IRS!!!!  

You must answer the Census Bureau by law.  It is in the Constitution and if you don't you face penalties and possible jail time.

If you get correspondence; calls; emails or whatever (verify it first) here:

https://www.census.gov/programs-surveys/are-you-in-a-survey/fraudulent-activity-and-scams.html

https://www.census.gov/about/npc.Call_from_an_Interviewer.html

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

Re: The US Census Bureau and You......

Your message - interesting read.   I'm aware it's necessary for us to comply with US census - but in some cases it's just plain whacky because people move around so much.  A few years back I had complaints from my tenants about a person knocking on doors and asking many questions.  I researched it and found it to be legit and just a census taker - but you never know.  To add stupidity - it was spring time and many tenants would be graduating (college) and moving on.  So all that info taken was .....old news a month later.  It's a head count of people - income - age of population, etc. for our representatives.  Just be alert - double check who wants the info about you and family - Live Smart!

Esteemed Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

Your message - interesting read.   I'm aware it's necessary for us to comply with US census - but in some cases it's just plain whacky because people move around so much.  A few years back I had complaints from my tenants about a person knocking on doors and asking many questions.  I researched it and found it to be legit and just a census taker - but you never know.  To add stupidity - it was spring time and many tenants would be graduating (college) and moving on.  So all that info taken was .....old news a month later.  It's a head count of people - income - age of population, etc. for our representatives.  Just be alert - double check who wants the info about you and family - Live Smart!

@fthunt when I checked the websites for the numbers I saw Arizona.  The calls from before now make sense.  They've been at it for a long time trying to reach the wrong person.  They should know many American's aren't truthful about those surveys. I explained to the woman about the scams and she understood.  I did all of that in the end that had nothing to do with me.  That is whacky!

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

But if it isn't addressed to you but to a different named person, wouldn't it be considered fraudulent and mail theft if you opened it and responded to it? I would assume, if that happened to me, that it has nothing to do with me and is meant for the named person. Unless it said plainly "Or Current Occupant" on the outside.

And since 2010 is long past and 2020 is still three years away, I wouldn't be thinking anything official. Weird.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

But if it isn't addressed to you but to a different named person, wouldn't it be considered fraudulent and mail theft if you opened it and responded to it? I would assume, if that happened to me, that it has nothing to do with me and is meant for the named person. Unless it said plainly "Or Current Occupant" on the outside.

And since 2010 is long past and 2020 is still three years away, I wouldn't be thinking anything official. Weird.

@Moonchilde you got that right!  Man's name at my address.  I explained that's why I didn't answer it.  Not me.........

*Call Tyrone*
QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is off topic

Honored Contributor

Here's my thought, if you can't prove I received it, you can't prosecute me for not responding :-)

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

@Bird mama, exactly.  I honestly didn't have to call them.  I only did so because of the constant calls to my phone.  I have no idea about anyone with the name they said it was for.

*Call Tyrone*
Respected Contributor

I've received one before in an off-census year.  They apparently gather information from different locations periodically.

Very annoying for you with all of the calls and mail. 

Respected Contributor

Not the Census Bureau, but another government agency story.

I kept getting a bill for a gift tax on a vehicle we have.  But I don't live in the county that is trying to collect the tax.  I called and they said if you don't live in the county, you don't owe the tax.

So I send back something with my address and county on it as the asked as proof.  I sent my property tax bill.  But this keeps happening, and I get threatened with court and fines, etc.  But every time I call, different people tell me I don't owe it since I don't live in that county.  I once did, but more than 15 years ago.  When I got the car, I did not live in that county.  Case went to court and got fined, court fees, etc. getting close to $1,000.

I call THEM and they say it was supposed to be dismissed because I do not live in that county.  I think we finally figured out the problem.  My daughter went to pick up the license plate renewal sticker.  As she was waiting, she was looking at the official form.  Darn if it doesn't say the wrong county.  The town I live in sits in 2 different counties.  They just kept erroneously picking the wrong one.  She had them correct it while getting the sticker.  Haven't heard anything since. 

Hyacinth