Honored Contributor

Re: The US Census Bureau and You......

I wonder if anyone has ever legally challenged the legitimacy of the "right" to ask certain questions?  I wonder if such a lawsuit would get any traction...

Esteemed Contributor

@sandraskates I have no idea what it was.  I didn't open any of the correspondence.  The voice mail message that was left for me didn't indicated.

From what I gather though, they do all kinds of surveys on an ongoing basis.  I counted at least 10 programs they oversea for statistical purposes.

Special Census Program

2020 Census

2017 Census Test

American Community Survey

Economic Census

2018 End to End Census Test and more.

Check out the link I provided or go to the website for details on these surveys.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

I wonder if anyone has ever legally challenged the legitimacy of the "right" to ask certain questions?  I wonder if such a lawsuit would get any traction...

With the highest court in the land?  Nope.  They claim it's "Constitutional".  That doesn't mean the Constitution can't be challenged ~ I just don't think anyone would ever do it or win @Oznell

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@Rockycoast wrote:

I received the letter from the Cencus a few years ago. It is legit. They do not go by the name at an address. It is the address itself. So who ever lives at the randomly chosen address is the one that answers the questions. It is no big deal. We became quite friendly over the years with the Cencus man John. It was always John, because our area was his territory. The first 2 times he conducted the interview at our home. The next 3 times it was conducted by phone. It takes no more then 15 minutes to answer the questions. I had no problem with it. As I said, It is no big deal.

@Rockycoast thank you for the info.  The problem for me was that the material was not addressed to me.  So, it would have been a big deal had I opened it.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@DayzeeDeez wrote:

Was this the American Community survey from the US Census?  I received one of those years ago and refused to do it.   The questions were absurd to me -- do I bathe or shower, what time do I leave for work, what is my travel route, what time do I get home, and on and on.  I had to dodge and ignore daily phone calls for about 3 months.  If you google this survey, you will find horror stories from people that have had unpleasant encounters with census agents. 

I have no idea what it was @DayzeeDeez.  I didn't open any of the correspondence.  The voice mail message that was left for me didn't indicated.

From what I gather though, they do all kinds of surveys on an ongoing basis.  I counted at least 10 programs they oversea for statistical purposes.

Special Census Program

2020 Census

2017 Census Test

American Community Survey

Economic Census

2018 End to End Census Test and more.

Check out the link I provided or go to the website for details on these surveys.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis

I'm with you, I don't mess with the mail.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

@Bird mama, let the gubermint figure it out!  It was "their mail!"  I'm with you.......LOL

*Call Tyrone*