Honored Contributor

The Tropical Storm Hermine and Florida!

I have a development (still developing) in the region that's expecting a lot of rain and high winds.  We still own a few houses in it and several empty lots.

My business partner lives in that area.  She had her house totally demolished when that big hurricane came through in 2004.  The house my late husband was working on was demolished too.  He died before he was allowed to come back to see it (if you don't live there, you can't get back into the area until later, even if you own the house.)  This partner got to see it but he was going to go down there a day AFTER he died.  He never saw the mess, but my daughter and I went there.  Unbelievable!  It was double heartbreak for us because we saw where he was staying in the house as he was working on it and pretty much the house was totaled!  We live in Va so it didn't affect us.

My partner rebuilt her house (it sits right on the water, as did the house he was working on).  She built it up off of the ground (it's a mini-mansion, amazing).  I remember when they figured it was going to hit, she moved her paints, etc. 

I feel so sorry for all of those people affected everywhere by the weather.  Can't stop thinking about them today.  

Honored Contributor

Re: The Tropical Storm Hermine and Florida!

Thank you for starting this thread @Annabellethecat66 as I would like to extend my good thoughts and prayers to those that are in the path of both Hermine but also the tropical storm over Hawaii.  I know there is another storm brewing in the gulf so I also offer extended prayers to those folks as well.  Please be safe during these unfortunate storms . . . Heart

Respected Contributor

Everyone please listen to the authorities - when they say stay home, they mean it!  Stay safe - here in Indiana we got a cold front from Canada and it is a beautiful 73 degree day here with a nice breeze.

Esteemed Contributor

I have never been in a hurricane zone or hurricane.  It must be undescribable.  I do feel for you and your worry about it all.  Keep yourself safe and out of harms way and let us know how it goes with you and yours. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Undescribable is about right.  Went through Andrew and almost Sandy (thank you Delta) and I will NEVER go through another one again.  Seeing my glass windows bend inward from the force of the wind is a sight I will never forget.  

Totally agree to listen to your radio and stay safe.  This may be a little one but it takes one falling tree or downed power line to end you for good.  

And all of us would really miss you.  Smiley Happy Heart

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

Undescribable is about right.  Went through Andrew and almost Sandy (thank you Delta) and I will NEVER go through another one again.  Seeing my glass windows bend inward from the force of the wind is a sight I will never forget.  

Totally agree to listen to your radio and stay safe.  This may be a little one but it takes one falling tree or downed power line to end you for good.  

And all of us would really miss you.  Smiley Happy Heart

Oh my goodness @Laura14 you brought back a memory I had buried!  I live in the western suburbs of Chicago and worked in a 26 story office building . . . as we are the "Windy City" sometimes the wind gusts around the building could be severe.  I am very much afraid of heights so I never ventured too close to the windows if I could help it but on one particularly gusty day I was unfortunately in a position to look out the window and realized the building was swaying . . . needless to say, I skipped lunch that day as my stomach was in knots . . . again, be safe those that are in the path of these upcoming storms!  Heart

Oh and @Laura14 if I had seen the glass bend inward because of the wind gusts that would have been the last day I worked there . . . I simply cannot comprehend seeing glass bend in the wind . . .  Smiley Sad

Esteemed Contributor

Unfortunately, too many people have not seen a hurricane like you describe or they have moved to Florida since the last bad one hit and do not have a clue what to expect.

You can never be TOO prepared for a storm.

The supplies you gather can always be used and they can save your life.

Each hurricane is different. No two are alike. The wind and rain is so unpredictable....you simply must be prepared for the worse.

Thanks for reminding us of the potential dangers ahead.

God bless all who are in the paths of these storms and keep you safe.

Honored Contributor

So much destructive weather in so many parts of the country.  Fires,, floods, tornadoes, hurricanes.

My good wishes go out to all who are dealing with it!!

And listen to the authorities when they tell you to get out, GET OUT!!

Valued Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

So much destructive weather in so many parts of the country.  Fires,, floods, tornadoes, hurricanes.

My good wishes go out to all who are dealing with it!!

And listen to the authorities when they tell you to get out, GET OUT!!

@QueenDanceALot

AMEN. 

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66@GATORGIRL@QueenDanceALot@Zhills@momtochloe

I am hoping our Florida posters are OK💙💜❤️

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~