Honored Contributor

Re: The Tale of Two Very Different Shipping Prices

$20 for a license plate frame that my hubby liked? I'd buy it in a minute. Having it shipped because its a mere 30-40 miles away?? Never. 30-40 miles for me is just Wednesday. My closest shopping city is 32 miles away. OP why not just drive the miles and get the frame since your dh likes it so much? But thats just me. 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@ID2

The license plate frame may be coming from a catalog order only type of business, where there's just a warehouse for shipping their products, not an actual store where you can pick up merchandise.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Valued Contributor

I would love to have some oranges and grapefruits........I just don't know which online orchards to use.

Honored Contributor

I know there are different shipping rates for the type of goods you are placing for shipment.  The fruit could be going a less expensive way than the regular item with a box. 

Total guess but boxes need to be screened while you kind of know fruit isn't carrying anything inside to blow anyone up so it's easier to ship. 

I think the grove owner is just taking the shipping cost and building it into the price or handling it himself to drive business.    Smart man!

Honored Contributor

@CinNC wrote:

I would love to have some oranges and grapefruits........I just don't know which online orchards to use.

i have used pittman and davis for many years now. they have great customer service if there are any problems. i order their navel oranges, ruby red grapefruits, and comice pears. they have other gifts available also. i ordered on sunday with free christmas delivery, but i dont think that they have the free delivery right now for christmas.

i have also used hale groves with good results.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Valued Contributor

@sunshine45 thanks for the recommendations....Christmas delivery isn't necessary. I'll look at both!!