Valued Contributor

The Tale of Two Very Different Shipping Prices

This morning (12/18)  I went to a local orange grove and sent 20 pounds of oranges and grapefruits from the Space Coast of Florida to very good friends in NY.  The grove owner shipped the order today, UPS Ground, and it cost me $6.  The fruit is scheduled to be delivered Saturday, 12/22.

This afternoon my husband mentioned he had seen a license plate frame that he really liked.  I went on-line and found it.  It was $20.00.  A little pricey for a license plate frame, but hey, it's for hubby.  It would be shipped from about 30, maybe 40, miles from our home.  So I started placing the order, put in all of my relevant information and get to the shipping costs.  Standard FedEx shipping would be $15.25 and if I'd like Express 2 day shipping that would be $39.00!  Yikes!  Needless to say hubby is NOT getting the license plate frame of his dreams.

How are shipping charges determined by these companies?  I asked the grove owner if he was sure $6.00 was enough.  He's a little independent guy and not some big mega corporation who would get great rates.  He assured me it was fine. I know there are some smart cookies out there, so please help me figure out how 20 pounds ships for 6 bucks and mere ounces for $15.25!  I truly am baffled.  LuLu

Honored Contributor

Re: The Tale of Two Very Different Shipping Prices

@Its Me LuLuBelle2-

That's a very good question.

I'm wondering too!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@Its Me LuLuBelle2 wrote:
...How are shipping charges determined by these companies?  I asked the grove owner if he was sure $6.00 was enough.  He's a little independent guy and not some big mega corporation who would get great rates.  He assured me it was fine. I know there are some smart cookies out there, so please help me figure out how 20 pounds ships for 6 bucks and mere ounces for $15.25!  I truly am baffled.  LuLu

@Its Me LuLuBelle2    it doesn't. The grove owner is short changing himself. Are you a frequent customer or a new customer that he wanted to give a special deal? You obviously felt like he wasn't charging you enough since you inquired. Since he is independent and small maybe after your gift is received, you could think of some way to pay him a little more.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Honored Contributor

just commenting on the oranges......

you got a great deal. i dont know how they can ship them that low either.

on sunday i purchased comice pears, naval oranges, and ruby red grapefruits. i have almost all of them shipped to me and then i gift them to our friends and family.

i pay $33 for 16 naval oranges (about 13 pounds) to be shipped to me with "free shipping." 100% money back guarantee.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Valued Contributor

@Tique, I'm a first time customer. In addition to the crazy low shipping cost he sent me home with 10 lbs. of oranges (which I tried to decline, but he wasn't having it)! I said the exact same thing to my husband as you. I have to figure out a way to repay his kindness. He mentioned a brand new grandbaby, so I was thinking of getting a baby gift. Thoughts? TIA, LuLu
Honored Contributor

@Its Me LuLuBelle2-

I think that would be a very sweet thing to doSmiley Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

The grove owner shipped the order today, UPS Ground, and it cost me $6.  

Grove owner charges shipping.

Standard FedEx shipping would be $15.25 and if I'd like Express 2 day shipping that would be $39.00!

License plate guy charges shipping AND handling.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Valued Contributor

@Marp, that's a whole lotta handling - lol! LuLu
Honored Contributor

@Its Me LuLuBelle2 wrote:
@Tique, I'm a first time customer. In addition to the crazy low shipping cost he sent me home with 10 lbs. of oranges (which I tried to decline, but he wasn't having it)! I said the exact same thing to my husband as you. I have to figure out a way to repay his kindness. He mentioned a brand new grandbaby, so I was thinking of getting a baby gift. Thoughts? TIA, LuLu

Love that idea @Its Me LuLuBelle2.  It would be a very thoughtful gesture. It shows that not only were you listening when he told you about the new baby but you actually remembered. Love it! He probably will too.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Honored Contributor

@Its Me LuLuBelle2

It may be helpful to him if you "pay it forward" on social media and put the bug in others' ears about this produce guy and his service.  Post on FB, leave a Yelp review, etc. and say how awesome he is.