Respected Contributor

Re: The TODAY show has turned into Mommy and Me

Too much time to fill with dribble and too much oversharing (unfortunately all too common these days).  We don't need to know so much of the personal lives of supposed "news anchors". 

Can just imagine Brysnt Gumble's face if Katie or Jane had rattled on about everything from breast feeding to getting back into pre baby shape, lol. 

Ive grown tired of it as well. And how much do we really need to see about diet and exercise?  How to avoid being scammed (hint: use some common sense!)   How disgusting and germy everything is (duh). Lol. Unless you live under a rock, it's so redundant. 

Honored Contributor

Does the Today Show have that silly Savannah Guthrie hosting?  I can remember watching her briefly, the channel had to be turned quite quickly..........

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

I find it curious that it is all about women and empowering women, and now they find acting like air heads more attractive than ever.  All you see are giggling, fashion obsessed women who don't have a serious bone in their bodies but want to be empowered.  Now what is wrong with that?  Role models?  Not many I see for young women. 

I disagree there are a lot of women role models for younger women. They are not sitting home watching TV . I think the reason you don't see them is because they have a different pov and perspective on the world then what you may agree with and so you either dismiss them or are not aware of them. But they are out there.

@AngusandBuddhasMom  I have no idea what you are talking about.  Would like to explain that statement?  

@Sooner ? ? My "statement" as you put it was quite clear. I disagreed with your dismissal of a whole generation of younger women who are doing amazing things and that among them there are excellent role models that are doing amazing things and who younger girls can emulate and look up to. 

@AngusandBuddhasMom I should have been more specific.  I apologize for that however; what exactly do you mean about "they have a different pov and perspective on the world than what you (I) may agree with and so you (I) dismiss them or are not aware of them."  

What do you assume about my "pov and perspective on the world" that I dismiss others?   Isn't that in and of itself VERY dismissive of someone to assume that about them?  Especially when you don't really know the individual or really anything about them?

@Sooner my point was that if you are not seeing role models in younger woman it may be that your pov or perspective is different from theirs. I don't always agree on who my DD looked to as a role model at first. But once I learned more about the person and what they were about then I could understand an respect her reasoning. I may not agree fully but I got a better idea.

Respected Contributor

What kind of programming do you want to see? Be specific.

Those morning shows have always been filled with fluff and that's why I don't watch. I guess I am wondering what the complainers are expecting or why they can't find something else that suits their needs. We have more choices now than ever for entertainment.

And they say young people act entitled.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Honored Contributor

@JJsMom wrote:

Those morning shows have always been filled with fluff and that's why I don't watch. I guess I am wondering what the complainers are expecting or why they can't find something else that suits their needs. We have more choices now than ever for entertainment.

That wasn't always the case.  I used to watch Today for the news and for feature pieces that explained economic and political situations around the world.  They weren't just the sound bite pieces of today, but in-depth report that helped you understand the world.  

They also covered economics for the individual in a lot of detail, and you knew what was going on in banking.

They had authors and scientists and other interesting people and gave them time and LET them talk!  It was about the visitor, not the host.  They didn't yuck it up every moment either.  The authors weren't just the pop writer of the minute, but thoughtful and intellectual authors of the highest quality.

How sad when you see the junk food they put out today.

Respected Contributor

How long ago was this? I guess I don't watch regularly enough to know when or if it started going downhill, but for as long as I can remember it's always been filled with fluff like cooking demonstrations, celebrity pieces, and product reviews sandwiched between hard news.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@JJsMom wrote:

That wasn't always the case.  I used to watch Today for the news and for feature pieces that explained economic and political situations around the world.  They weren't just the sound bite pieces of today, but in-depth report that helped you understand the world.  

They also covered economics for the individual in a lot of detail, and you knew what was going on in banking.

They had authors and scientists and other interesting people and gave them time and LET them talk!  It was about the visitor, not the host.  They didn't yuck it up every moment either.  The authors weren't just the pop writer of the minute, but thoughtful and intellectual authors of the highest quality.

How sad when you see the junk food they put out today.

@Sooner  Another pet peeve of mine too, not letting them talk. They cram it full of stuff then cut everyone off 😳